1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What sort of Rooster is this? New Orleans

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NSparrow, Feb 21, 2017.

1. NSparrow

NSparrow New Egg

Feb 21, 2017
    New Orleans, LA
    Hello,

I'm messaging from New Orleans - where we have a few flocks of chickens and roosters who roam the neighborhood. I'm not certain if they are being cared for by someone in particular, but it does seem that they have a regular roosting spot under one of the houses that backs up to ours (we can hear them every morning). There are two or three roosters and maybe 6 or hens who hang out around the same intersection our neighborhood.

I'm curious, does anyone know what kind of roosters these are?

We've been grappling with the annoyance they cause us, crowing as early as 4am. But are hesitant to have removed because of the character and beauty they bring to our neighborhood. Roaming flocks are a part of the cultural histories of New Orleans' Treme and 7th Ward (where we live) neighborhoods. Fortunately for them, despite New Orleans having a no rooster ordinance - the city does not enforce it because of lack of manpower and funding. So, unless I can catch and safely re-home them on my own, they will stay our neighbors for awhile.
    Thanks for reading :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    A multitude of chickens roaming any neighborhood will produce mutts.

I am seeing a lot of game influence and some Mediterranean influence in them...that is all that can be said.

LofMc

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I agree, lots of game bird influence.

6. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Game mixes

7. NSparrow

NSparrow New Egg

Feb 21, 2017
    New Orleans, LA
    Thanks for your replies. As you can tell, I'm not knowledgeable of the chicken world but nonetheless am fascinated by it. This site is great, maybe it will be the start of our own little flock. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by