what sort of sand

rita2paul

Songster
8 Years
Aug 31, 2011
Gloucestershire
ok i have dug out an area under their house and part of their run, they don't spend much time there as soon as the electric door opens they are out, but i have decided to put sand down, which is the best sort and what is safe.

I use washed river sand in my coop. Probably listed under excavators maybe.

I got a yard delivered by dump truck, since I didn't have a truck back then. It was reasonable and lasts forever. But only my first choice for certain set ups. I use it in my large 12x12 coops, but not smaller ones and not in my run that gets rain on the outer edges. Works well for grit and inside my rarely used coop. Though it does get dusty and they don't prefer to dirt bath in it. It works well enough and I wear a mask if I'm gonna due a lot of stirring up the poo dust. :sick

Sorry, I do not know which of the bagged sands from home depot type places are safe.

I haven't read this whole article or fact checked it, but it looked like a good place for you to maybe get some references..
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/using-sand-in-your-chicken-coop.47795/

Happy chicken keeping! :)

thank you for that information i was worried about using sand from the building yard, but i think that will be ok. the child sand was what i was going to use, but i think that was going to get expensive. i have dug the area out and hubby said he will get some sand for me tomorrow. :wee

Back
Top Bottom