What sorts of noises do your chickens make?

confusedturtle

Songster
8 Years
Apr 6, 2011
Virginia
Up until now our chicks: 2 red star pullets (6 wks old), 2 buff orp mixes (not sure of sex, 5 wks old) and one undecided (either a red star roo or an amberlink pullet, 6wks) had just peeped. They seem to have a content peep, a "Hey I found something cool!" peep, a roost-time peep, and a nervous peep. Today I have started to notice a slight squ-awk from one or two of my chicks. At first I thought dang it, my possible roo is a roo and then I realized it wasn't that one. I think it is coming from one of the buff orp mixes but my daughter says she thinks it is coming from one of the red star pullets. Do hens squ-awk sometimes? As you can tell I have never really been around chickens until now so I am very new to this. We bought our chicks when they were 4 weeks old.

Yes, they can make all sorts of noises, it is great fun trying to figure out what noise is for what!
big_smile.png

They do make all kinds of noises as they mature. I didn't realize the range until we had to keep a pullet in the hospital crate in the house for about 4 weeks b/c she had a fractured leg. She chirped, squawked, trilled, whistled. . . everything but the roo predator call and crow, basically
lol.png

It is pretty cool, I love it. When I took out our leftover corn on the cob tonight I got the "I think she's got treats!" and the "yay for corn" peeps. Cant wait until they are more trusting & don't run from me like the road runner runs from the coyote.
sad.png

LOL! My chickens get extra loud when I come near the coop. I imagine they are saying "Yeay the treat lady is here....GIVE THEM TO US NOOOOWWW!!!" I went inside the coop first before greeting them in my normal way and they all rushed me inside the coop all chatty and rowdy.
gig.gif
gig.gif

Maybe when our coop/run is finished & they move in they will not run from me as much. Understand why they'd run, they want to keep free ranging & don't want to be caught & put back in their current run (bottomless xl dog crate). I hope they come around soon & want me to hold & pet them.
smile.png

Quote:
Don't get upset if that never happens. They're not puppies, they're chickens. They'd much rather you give them food and admire them, but not pet them. Honestly, the best way to encourage that is to sit quietly among them, either on the ground or in a chair. If they want to hop on you then let them. But in general, most chickens really just do not enjoy being petted. It's just a fact of chickendom. You can also try to stroke them by reaching for their breast area when they're close, but if you reach from above, they're going to freak out every time.

Quote:
Don't get upset if that never happens. They're not puppies, they're chickens. They'd much rather you give them food and admire them, but not pet them. Honestly, the best way to encourage that is to sit quietly among them, either on the ground or in a chair. If they want to hop on you then let them. But in general, most chickens really just do not enjoy being petted. It's just a fact of chickendom. You can also try to stroke them by reaching for their breast area when they're close, but if you reach from above, they're going to freak out every time.

X2 My girls really don't like to be touched, they squak if my hand comes too close (without any treats!!) and they back away. They love it when I go in to their coop but mainly cause they think they are getting treats. And maybe they like to see me when I get home from work? (wishful thinking)

Quote:
List sounds made and context under which they are made. You will find a language of sorts. Then have some fun and get some red jungle fowl to observe a considerably larger vocabulary.

Back
Top Bottom