What State Fits My Family Best?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by sunny & the 5 egg layers, Oct 16, 2011.

1. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Me and my family currently live in Massachusetts. We have a little over an acre. But we would love to live somewhere and have land and a small farm.

Here is what I am looking for:
    -Lots of land.
    -The seasons (I dont want to live somewhere that is constantly hot and doesn't get all four seasons.)
    -Can have whatever type of livestock you wish.
    -Farming type community.

Anybody have any suggestions? [​IMG]

2. yankeedoodle300

yankeedoodle300 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Chicken Heaven
    North Carolina, It Has Some Cities, But A Bunch of Land,

The Summers are hot and the Winters are Chilly,

The livestock goes from Buffalo to Ostrich,

And the Land is Fertile!

I Think your Family would Love It!

3. BlueLagoonRabbitry

BlueLagoonRabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Western Iowa
    Iowa

- You know when the seasons change.

- We have every type of animal imaginable(Saw a zebra on CL this morning)

- BIG Farming state so plenty of room t spread out.

4. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

Pennsylvania

- There is soo much land here, you just have to look around and you'll get a great deal
    - Trust me in PA we get all four seasons, Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall
    - If you lots of land who cares what type of livestock you can have, plus there are really no restrictions
    - Yes there are also many farming communities, heck down the road from me its pure country

5. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    I think everyone's likely to suggest their own state. [​IMG]

I'd say New York (except for the taxes).
    - Lots of land here as well.
    - Boy do we get seasons! Fall is lovely, because just when you're thinking, "Darn, the leaves aren't gonna be nice this year..." BAM! You get a big frost and the leaves turn shockingly gorgeous colors!
    - As far as I know, there are no livestock restrictions if you're in the country. Some towns/cities have restrictions though.
    - Here in Upstate New York the hills are covered with fields being cultivated, and almost every family around here does some kind of farming. It's in the air I think.... [​IMG]

6. equinehugger3

equinehugger3 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2010
    Wisconsin has the best small town farming community feel, but I doubt anyone would want the 20 below winters and 95 above summers. [​IMG]

7. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Kentucky!!

8. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Perhaps narrow your search down to what is too cold and what is too hot. We definitely get all four seasons, but our winters are warmer than say those in New York. Our summers are a lot hotter and more humid though. The coldest it ever gets here is in the single digits and it doesn't stay that low for more than a couple of days at a time. Mostly in the winter it hovers in the 40s-ish. Summers are decent until August and then it stays up in the 90s with 80% humidity. On the plus side we all pretty much have air-conditioning. [​IMG]

The rest of what you want depends on where you are. If you are around the major metropolitan areas land is expensive and there are rules about animals. If you go rural it is pretty much whatever you want to do. Land in the rural counties is fairly inexpensive. The down side is that counties with good school systems tend to be more expensive as well. It all depends on what you are looking for.

I love it in TN and have been very happy here. [​IMG]

9. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Michigan, same weather as you are used to, a depressed economy and a large back to the land movement with the best right to farm laws around!! Oh yeah, and real estate and taxes are cheap!!

10. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    Ohio has that, plus no real extremes in the weather. You can find large expanses of flat farm fields, or hills and woods. No natural disasters ( a few tornadoes but not many), no large predators, no poisonous snakes or bugs (ok a few copperheads wayyy south) and you can get a decent 3 bd house on 5 or more acres for $150K

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by