What supplements should I give my chicks?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickiyo, Jun 27, 2010.

1. chickiyo

chickiyo In the Brooder

Jun 21, 2010
    I just got two chicks recently and was wondering if I should give them any supplements? They already eat all natural chick crumble, but I want to give them a good boost so they grow healthy. Someone told me I should give them egg yolk, would love second opinions. [​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I'm not one for alot of supplementing, other than the vitamins and electrolytes I add to both the adult and baby chickens water when it gets super hot.
    Two treats that my chicks have always loved are plain yogurt and hard boiled egg. I chop the egg up. I give it to them in small amounts and only a few times a week.

3. nanawendy

nanawendy Songster

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    I agree w/ gritsar , I don't give treats until they are about one month(half feathered) then I hand feed them Plain Yogurt w/ a spoon. They nibble while I hold both. Then they are my friends FOREVER. [​IMG]

4. chickiyo

chickiyo In the Brooder

Jun 21, 2010
    Thanks for the advice, just wondering what electrolytes and vitamins you put in your baby chick's water? Where can I find them?

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I buy mine at the farmer's co-op, though I imagine any well stocked farm store should have them. The little silver bag says Poultry Vitamins and Electrolytes with stabilized Vitamin C. I go very light on them, a little less than a teaspoon in the big birds 3 gallon waterers and just a pinch in the babies quart waterers; barely enough to color the water.
    It seems to help them cope with the extreme heat we get.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by