What suture type for Crop Surgery?

dirtylittlefly

Chirping
10 Years
Apr 18, 2012
Vancouver, WA
I’m getting ready to do an impacted crop surgery if I can’t get the mass to break down.
I ordered training suture from Amazon and while Sterile, the package says for non clinical use. I got this set because it had absorbable catgut. I read though that catgut can transmit Mad Cow’s disease. So now I’ll thinking I should but different suture. Does absorbability matter? Where do you buy suture that is clinical grade? Thanks

I would think that the sutures used on the crop need to be the dissolving type. and the outer ones can be anything.
crop surgey 020-01-02 13_15_23-Essentials of Avian Medicine and Surgery - Google Books.png

Last edited:
Thanks! I did the surgery on Tuesday afternoon. I had ordered a practice kit of suture from Amazon because it had catgut, but then I read somewhere that they don’t use that anymore because it can be contaminated with mad cow disease. (Because I guess it’s actually cow intestine) while chickens don’t get Symptomatoc, they could certainly pass the prion on. So I looked up what non absorbable suture could be used in intestine, and I found a source that said polyester was acceptable. I’ll take the skin suture out in a couple weeks and see how she does..... i think absorbable is preferable and leaving things in can leave an opportunity for irritation and infection. But it’s not inevitable 🤷‍♀️

I read one blog that said She doesn’t suture at all, just does it at the top and offsets the crop and skin incisions. That made more nervous though.

i appreciate all your feedback! I tried ordering vicryl on Amazon but they had none, feed stores had none, and they didn’t have vet glue either. I had Krazy glue on hand but that stuff..... I don’t think would fully dissolve either and has nasty chemicals.

the last thing I’m wondering is how long to isolate her. She’s 12 weeks and I think just finished a molt. I plucked away a lot of chest feathers and am nervous the other chicks will pick on her bare chest.

You will definitely need her to remain in isolation for at least a week. You will want to feed her soft, easily passable foods to start, like boiled eggs or mash soaked with milk or whatever soft foods that are easily digestible available to you. Digestive tract surgery is a dirty surgery, it will need some healing. I used Exceed ( injectable antibiotic) to prevent infection. It lasts a week and a chicken sized dose is 0.05 mil so is really small. Exceed is used for horses and cows and lasts for a week, but you will have to find a veterinarian who would be willing to sell you some.

Thanks! I am giving her Amoxacillin caps I bought at the feed store. I messaged an online avian vet and she advised me on dosing: 500mg dissolved in 3/4 tsp water. Give 0.2ml per pound.
The injectable stuff is powerful, but feeling lucky I have at least this option, and she is eating well.

Back
Top Bottom