What takes Blu Kote off of skin?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hoosierhen, Mar 14, 2009.

1. hoosierhen

hoosierhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2007
    Indiana
    I was doctoring a hens sore toe and got blue wound dressing on my hand. Is there anthing that will take it off in a hurry? My dh and I are going out for dinner tonight.

2. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    You can try scrubbing some of it off with Comet or Ajax. Bleach will help at least lighten it. Make sure to rinse well and put lotion on so it doesn't dry your hands out. Most of the rest of it will have to wear off. I almost always wear rubber gloves or use a plastic sack while handling Blu Kote, I learned the hard way! LOL [​IMG]

3. Ellie_NY_chick

Ellie_NY_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Okay, I'm bumping this up again. I had to give a roo a spray of Blue Kote on his neck and all was fine until he decided to shake and...

now I look like I have blue measles.

I'm not excited about scrubbing my face with Comet or Ajax. I leave on a business trip tomorrow, so HELP!!!

4. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Ellie, never used it for that, but nail polish remover will take off about anything......Pop

5. Diva

Diva Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2008
    Salem Oregon
    Time takes care of blue kote! [​IMG] Linda

6. Ellie_NY_chick

Ellie_NY_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Thanks - time is something I don't have. I'll give the nail polish remover a try. I have a meeting with a doctor around noon, and I don't want to be admitted as a patient!

7. vermontgal

vermontgal Chillin' With My Peeps

I think the reason Comet or Ajax work is partly b/c of the bleach and partly b/c of the abrasives. You could try a scrubbing face cream with pumice in it and/or baking soda. I've heard about a couple cases of BluKote Measles... You might try searching on measles to find that past post. I think the woman had some success with a face cream of some sort.

8. farrier!

farrier! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    What helps for us is "Fast orange" with pumice. Not the smooth and not orange goop.
    It will help with Koppertox too.

9. Squeaky

Squeaky I squeak, therefore I am

Jul 5, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    There's a product called "Goof-Off" that's great for removing paint. I can't vouch for its efficacy on Blu-Kote though. I just bought some Blu-Kote to slather on some dominance-pecking chickens if they get cheeky. I appreciate the heads up about the gloves.

10. TimeMist

TimeMist Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2008
    New Zealand
    If you use pumice on your face you'll end up with a red mark where the blue one used to be [​IMG]

How about a magic erasure? I know it's still abrasive but it might hurt less and make less of a mark than a pumice stone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by