what tastes bad to chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickens~galore, Feb 20, 2009.

1. chickens~galore

chickens~galore Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2008
    what tastes bad to chickens? i am wondering because i have 3 egg eaters and i am trying to blow out some eggs and put some nasty stuff in there for them to eat. so maybe when they get a taste of it they will quit.

Chickens~Galore

2. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    Hot sauce might work. I've heard that you should put wooden/ceramic eggs in there, so then they'll peck and peck and nothing comes out.

3. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Obviously not too much, they scratch through the horse poo and pick out the grains !!!!

4. Appytaz

Appytaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Central Florida
    I wonder if the bitter apple no chew stuff you use for dogs would work? Or they have the no chew for bandages for horses also??

Just a thought!

5. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Hey, Appytaz - that bitter apple stuff is a really good idea! Check your pet store for that - I believe the brand name is Grannicks. I hadn't thought of it before!

6. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    My chickens love hot peppers. I would try vinegar.

7. A.J.'s

A.J.'s Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Tennessee
    chickens do not taste the hot in hot peppers or any of the things you have mentioned.
    I know they do not like onions. they just leave them when/if i throw them out.
    Id go with the wooden eggs. or eggs that cannot be broken.

8. notsooldmcdonald

notsooldmcdonald Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Lempster, NH
    Mine REALLY don't like pine tar. You should see them take a taste off the rooster's comb, and then basically spend the next minute trying to *pah* spit it out. They shake their heads and I _swear_ stick their tongues out!

-C

9. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    I have read that birds cannot taste spice. So if that is true than peppers and hot sauce wouldn't work.

10. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    I heard mustard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by