What temp and humidity works best in a HovaBator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chicken Junkies, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Chicken Junkies

Chicken Junkies Chillin' With My Peeps

What is the best temperature and humidity to use when hatching with a HovaBator incubator? If read so many different opinions my head hurts. lol Also what is the best hygrometer to use in the bator? Please advise. I'm using an egg turner, fyi. First hatch with a new bator has me nervous but egg-cited,

2. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    What model Hovabator do you have? I have the 1588 and it comes from the factory set at 100 degrees. If yours is a forced air it should be set or 99.5 to 100. If it is a still air it should be set for 101.5 to 102. In the botom of the bator, there should be a plastic tray with water troughs. Fill the center trough during incubation and make sure that it stays full. When you go into lock down, fill both troughs. I hope this helps.

3. GreenGoddess

GreenGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    Quote:I have the hova bator 2362 and even though the directions said to fill the middle trough for the first 18 days and then fill both for the last three days, I cannot do that! I filled the first through and my humidity skyrocketed to 80%... I took all the water out and folded a paper towel to make a 1/4 size square and then soaked it with water.. My bator had heald steady between 30% and 40% and I've only had to add water to the paper towel once in the last week... The humidity inside the bator has a lot to do with the humidity in the room...

Goddess [​IMG]

4. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    Goddess, that is true. I forgot about that. I am calibrating my hygrometers as we speak. My suggestion to the OP would be to get a hygrometer and go from there.

5. GreenGoddess

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    Quote:I agree... Honestly, from things I have heard and done myself, stay AWAY from the digital thermometers/hygrometers!!! They can be way off and just not worth the money to me... I personally went to PetSmart and got the duo by All Living Things that they use in their reptile tanks and mine was only 2 or 3% off so I don't need to worry about it as long as I stay in range... Petco has a similar one with their own name on it... I've heard a lot of good things about the accuracy of these!!!! No matter which one you get, CALIBRATE it!!!!!!

Goddess [​IMG]

6. Chicken Junkies

OK, just set my first 20 test eggs in my HovaBator 1620 still air. Some EE, Serama, Sultan, BO, RIR, etc. Wish me luck. Temps have held steady at 100 degrees. Humidity is at 35% and holding last 48 hours. Guess I will see what happens. Very exciting and sure hope it works. I have a CPU fan I can add if the hatch doesn't turn out good. Thanks for all the advise. Will keep notes here on what I do and what hatches.

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    My 1588 comes in set at 99.5 (using my Brinsea spot check thermometer)

I keep the humidity at about 35% for the first 18 days.

I try to keep the humidity between 60% & 65% the last three days. I put a tube down through the main vent hole so I can add warm water as needed without opening the bator... oh, and I wouldn't use it without a turner.

8. GreenGoddess

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    For a still air, the temp needs to be 101-101.5... About 2 degrees higher than it would be for a forced air... If you keep the temps low, it can cause your chicks to not grow properly or not hatch... I would either put the fan in there and then set the temp to 100 or bump the temp up another degree....

Goddess [​IMG]

9. Chicken Junkies

OK, bumping up to 101 degrees right now. Appreciate ya. [​IMG]

10. GreenGoddess

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    Quote:No problem.. As long as you see they are growing by candling them, don't give up when day 21 comes and goes and you don't have any pips.. Sit on your hands and be patient... There have been a bunch of people who have had pips as late as 26-27 days because of low temps... [​IMG]

Goddess [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by