what temp do u keep your chicken coop at during the winter monthes?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sunflowerenvy, Jul 9, 2010.

1. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Songster

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    what is the temp in your chicken coop in the winter monthes that u keep it at for them?

i have 10 12 weeks standards chicken now [hopely to spring time] my coop size is 8x12 now.
    i am going to insultlate too by the fall but i am wondering if i need to have heat in the coop. we live in southwest tenn the lowest temp was 5 above zero last year.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    You might want to read this link. Pat does a great job talking about coop temperatures. I'll include her ventilation article too. Both are top quality.

Pat’s Winter Coop Temperatures
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-winter-coop-temperatures

Pat’s Ventilation
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-VENTILATION

I do not heat mine, just make sure there are no night time drafts hitting them while they are roosting but keep good ventilation above them. Here is a photo of mine at 8* Fahrenheit last winter. That is ice on the ground.

[​IMG]

3. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Songster

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    thanks for the links do cover your side during the winter do u get snow there we got snow last year about a foot iam in saltillo, tn

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Mine doesn't drop below about 20 F inside, because of the way it is built, even though our outdoor temps get to like -30 F; but that is probably not highly relevant to most peoples' situation [​IMG]

In SW Tennessee you should seldom if ever need supplemental heating. If you did, it would be because of large-combed chickens in unavoidably-damp air (ventilation only does so much when the WEATHER doesn't cooperate). The better you design your coop, the less you will ever need to add a lamp.

It is worth covering the upwind side of the coop, for wind more than for snow. You may find yourself wanting to put down some straw or hay or whatnot in the run during very cold weather if the ground is bare or icy, to keep their feeties happier so they are more apt to want to be out.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

5. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Songster

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    thanks for the info i will post my coop n run tom need to takes pics . u have alot of good info on your web site

6. CityChook

CityChook Songster

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    I am considerably North of you, so I can't give recommendations based on your climate (it's pretty humid in TN, right?), but honestly, I think that making sure you have proper ventilation is more important than coop temperatures. If you can keep it dry inside, then chickens can withstand quite a bit of cold. Larger combed breeds (and roosters?) will have a harder time in cold temperatures.

For the sake of comparison, my coop has gotten down to -10F inside. And not a spot of frostbite. Granted, this has not been for extended periods (it would go up to 0 in the daytime), but that's pretty darned cold inside. And I have 24/7 heat too. I would say that on average, my wintertime indoor temp is around 10-15F from Nov-March and 30F for Oct and April.

Hope this helps. Now, let's quit talking about cold -- it's JULY!

7. SparksNV

SparksNV Songster

Jun 13, 2010
    Spanish Springs, NV
    I live in Northern Nevada - dry & cold in winter occasional snow - "usually" melts same day but not always. I wasn't going to insulate my coop - now I'm not sure - the responses to this post do not state if they insulated their coops - did you? Should I? Does it help alot during summer? We, again, are very dry with summer temps getting into the upper 90's and even over 100. Thanks again!

8. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Songster

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    Quote:[​IMG] ha ha about the cold in july i want the cold now it been in the high temp 90 and the heat index is over 100:mad:

[​IMG]
    here is my new chicken coop before we fix it up and still working on it

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Since the bird brains prefer to sleep on the roost in the "outside" part.... it was down to about 12F last year, with a week or two below 30. Only the very old or very young went in two years ago when we had a few weeks of teens and the big snow in washington.

10. CityChook

CityChook Songster

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    sunflower, your coop is sweet. You need some hydrangeas (or better yet - thorny roses!) under those pretty windows. Oh, unless you open them from outside, I guess... hee hee. I really like the metal roof...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by