1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what temp do you like to keep your coop at?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by glastonbury, Dec 9, 2014.

1. glastonbury

glastonbury Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2014
    NW Indiana
    Hello all my chicken heads!

I got my first baby chix back in october so i'm still a noob. i moved them into their coop last week, which they seem to be happy with. in my flock i have some Delawares, Dominiques, Australorps, Ameracaunas, and Penedesencas. i believe all are cold hardy except the Penedesenca. they are a 7 weeks old and fully feathered now. i dont want to keep the coop too toasty because i want them to get acclimated to the cold winters here in Northern Indiana.

whats a good temp to keep my coop at right now? what temp do you run the coop at in winter?

thanx in advance.

2. WthrLady

WthrLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2014
    WestOak, Nebraska
    Whatever temp it is outside.
    We've been down to 4'F so far and they've been fine. The coop and run are open, but the wind is blocked.

3. CliffB

CliffB Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2014
    Georgia
    Mine have found the warmest corner of the coop and they just cuddle. We've gotten down to 15-20* and mine are 8-12 weeks.

4. Happy Dad

Happy Dad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2012
    Eastern Nebraska
    Quote:Ditto here in Nebraska. We had a cold week that got into the single digits and they did just fine. We also have plastic sheeting on the run to block the wind and also leave the coop open.

5. WthrLady

Jul 24, 2014
    WestOak, Nebraska

6. glastonbury

Aug 4, 2014
    NW Indiana
    oh, i thought lots of folks had heated coops in the winter.
    is there a low temp that when reached you would decide to add some supplemental heat?

7. CliffB

Oct 5, 2014
    Georgia
    My chicks are still young and are of the "ornamental" variety so i felt bad throwing them into their first winter without some sort of warmth so i purchased a thermocube for a heat lamp. Turns on the heat lamp when temperatures reach 35 and turns off when they hit 45. It is essentially designed to keep temps above freezing. It works perfect for $12.00.

8. WthrLady

Jul 24, 2014
    WestOak, Nebraska
    Ya. Small breeds and bantams would, and do, drop like flies here.

I keep watch over them when the real temp,not wind chill-they aren't in the wind, hits -10'F. Or if they start to huddle or shake, or refuse to eat/drink.

9. glastonbury

Aug 4, 2014
    NW Indiana
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

Since its their first winter and they're not fully grown yet I kinda wanna keep the coop above freezing. I do notice even without the lamp on, their combined body heat (25 in all) adds a couple degree.

Cliffb, the thermocube sounds awesome and exactly what I need for their coop and a few areas with water pipes around the property. Thanx!

10. CliffB

Oct 5, 2014
    Georgia
    The thermocube is a very handy little device.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by