what temp do you put 4 week old chicks outside.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sueche, Mar 21, 2011.

1. sueche

sueche Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    I live in Raleigh nc and have been putting my 4 week old chicks outside during the day. It has been between 60s-70s. I bring them in at night cause it gets cold in the 40s.
    They only have half their feather( i guess cause it's all new to me).

when can I leave them out ? or what are good temps?

2. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    Mine are 4 weeks old today, fully feathered except the very top of their heads and they have been outside day and night with no light for 4 days. Just moved them to the big coop today! Previously I just had them in their brooder outside.

3. sueche

Feb 17, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    [​IMG] they grow up so fast!

4. sueche

Feb 17, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  5. Gardengirl 2011

Gardengirl 2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Central Florida
    I have mine in a big wire dog crate in the screen room all day now. We get into the high 50's at night, so I throw a blanket over the crate and still have a 100W bulb on them just in case. Like yours, they're not fully feathered, but they are probably better than 50%.

6. cyrixlord

cyrixlord Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Monroe, wa
    I live in WA and its night and 43f right now. I've had my 4 week old chick out in the run for 3 days but put her in the heated coop at night. she hated it and tonight i think i'll just keep her on the roost with the other girls. It's covered and protected from any wind.

I think she'll be ok. I checked on her earlier and she was happy as a clam. What's odd for me is that the older hens (4 year old australorps, and 3 year old white rock) haven't been mean to her at all. The australorps were so mean to the white rock when got her and put her in after a month and a half.

7. Use common wisdom and make sure they have an adequate heat source day or night. I put my latest batch of chicks outside at 2 weeks old. I have a heat lamp in the coop to let them huddle by if needed. Here's the kicker....I live in Phoenix Az. the last two weeks have been pushing 90. The chicks (barred rocks, EE and two Bantam surprises) have fared very well and like the set up they are in. Many folks raise their chicks outside even in the winter. Protect them from the rain and wind and give them some heat. Wish you the best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by