What temp for outdoor grill-filet mignon?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Lunachick, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    I used to just stab the meat on the grill to see when the meat's done. But this grill has a temp thingy. But I'd like to know what is the proper temp for 1 inch thick filet mignon for medium done? More pink then not. [​IMG] Thanks guys.

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Preheat the grill to high. Let it get good and hot. I think for medium, it is 6 minutes a side. Only flip once, and don't be tempted to flip more. [​IMG]

3. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Thank you so much Miss! I am a naughty flipper, and when you said that, I realized that was exactly what I was doing... [​IMG] Thanks again!

4. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Please don't poke the meat! You let out all the good juices! Here's a simple method to judge when your steak is done: Put your thumb and forefinger together and feel the fleshy part underneath your thumb, that's rare. Move to the next finger, that's medium rare. Next, medium. Next, medium-well. It really works!

5. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    The thickness of the piece of meat shouldn't matter. You always take the temp in the middle of the thickest piece. Medium is 160, but you should take it off the heat at 155, as it will continue to cook another 5 deg.

6. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Hey Luna--how did it turn out?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by