What temp should inside of egg be?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sherry57, Dec 12, 2012.

1. sherry57

sherry57 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2009
    Hi all!

I had started with my questions on the NYDH thread, but I didn't want to sabatoge it too much.

My 6 year old made an incubator, and we tried to hatch two different dozen with no results before we calibrated the thermometer and realized it was +15 off. !!!! We just set another dozen for the NYDH, we're SO excited, and I'm obsessed over temperatures. I have three thermometers in there, but only one was calibrated, and I can't stop checking and seeing if the temp is ok! I'm so nervous we're going to mess this batch up also!

Now my question is: The aquarium thermometer is sitting inside a glass jar in the incubator (see pic). The temp in the incubator is right around 103, but the aquarium thermometer says 80. What is the temp that I'm aiming for on the inside of the egg? Is 80 too low?

Thanks tons!
    Sheree & Ezra (my son)

[​IMG]

2. chiqita

chiqita Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2011
    San Jose, Ca
    hey!
    99.5 is what you want at the top of the egg. 80 is low. I do NOT know much about still air incubators, however, so if someone else answers who does know, follow them.

3. sherry57

Nov 30, 2009
    Well, the air thermometers on the top of the eggs are around 103. What I'd like to know is what the inside off the eggs should be, since the aquarium thermometer in the water jar measures that. I just calibrated the aquarium one with an oral basal thermometer, and it's accurate. It's at 82 degrees right now. Is that ok? Should we allow for it to be cooler b/c it's farther from the light and facing the window?

Thanks!
    Sheree & Ezra

4. chiqita

chiqita Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2011
    San Jose, Ca
    oh! ack. that I don't know. There is a device like that that I have seen advice on how to use, but for the life of me I cant remember its name. It has gell inside it . Its like a fake egg from canada. let me see if I can find anything on it.

5. Shayna

Shayna I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    I do believe the inside of the egg temp you are going for is 99.5 or at least very close to that. Now did you just start incubating? If your jar is much bigger than an egg, it may be taking more time for the jar to fully warm up. Also, it's possible that since you have a still air incubator, all the heat is staying off the bottom and that is why the bottom is so much colder. Adding a fan can make a HUGE difference. It looks like you have your eggs at mid level in the incubator and the jar on the bottom, since heat rises, your eggs should be warmer.
    Last, if you haven't calibrated the aquarium thermometer or put it in the same spot with the calibrated one to check if it reads the same temp, it's possible it's just off. I've had a lot of fish tank thermometers and it doesnt seem like any two are ever the same.

After about 5 days, you can candle your eggs. There are lots of great pictures and instructions on here for how to do that. You can compare to make sure your eggs are developing at about the rate they should be.

Good luck to you and Ezra!

2 people like this.
  6. sherry57

Nov 30, 2009
    Thanks Shayna and Chiqita!

The incubator has been running for well over a month now with the jar in it, so it shouldn't be the jar being off temp. Maybe you're right, it's the different levels of temperatures in the still air. I did calibrate the aquarium thermometer with an oral mercury thermometer, so it should be pretty accurate... although, I'm starting to think there's no such thing as an accurate thermometer! I have three in there and all show something different! augh!

My fingers are crossed for this time. Third times the charm, right? WE CAN"T WAIT TO CANDLE ON DAY 7!!! It's driving us nuts wondering if we're cooking them again, or if it's going to work this time!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by