what temp to let them rest at?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mom2Cool, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Mom2Cool

Mom2Cool Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Hi everyone. Ok so it's experiment time here & I'd ordered some eggs through the mail the other day (black laced Red Wyndottes) anyway they were sent prioity mail but it took a few days to get here (sent on Wed. just got here this afternoon) at what temp should I let them "rest"? I don't want to have them warm too quick. I'm hoping they didn't get too cold in route I didn't think they'd be going szo far it would take this long to get here but I guess with the Christmas mail etc. it did. anyway any ideas on the temp to let them rest at? & I'm reading some where that I'm suppose to "rock them" so they don't stick to the shell?

This is a first time & therefore a true experiment [​IMG] but I figure if anything comes of it well it should be real pretty. LOL

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Let them come up to room temp in your house. Set them pointy end down and let them rest. The shaking and moving from having been mailed can scramble them.

I keep mine out on the counter in the room I will incubate them in for 8 - 12 hours before setting in the incubator.

Shipped eggs are always a risk. Sometimes you win and get a great hatch and sometimes you loose and end up with nothing. It is a roll of the dice you have to be willing to take.

Good luck and happy hatching.

3. Mom2Cool

May 8, 2008
    Hi MissPrissy thanks for such a quick response I appreciate it. & really I know the risk is like REAL high & that's why I called it an experiment because that's all it really is at this point. Of course as much as it is an experiment I figure it's better to just check with those you've done it before taking the next step you know?

I do have them in the same room as the incubator. My son had wanted to try this with duck egg years ago & I'd bought the thing & he'd been unsuccessful with it (a different story) anyway it's just been sitting here so I thought I'd take a crack at this (no pun intended).

Anyway the eggs will just be on their side when they go into the incubator & so would it be best to keep them on their side while they're resting or should I put them in a carton? They didn't come in a carton or that foam but they came wrapped in bubble wrap on their side. The room is about 65 degrees too cold or too hot? & then wait til morning to set them in the incubator?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    That temp should be fine. Mark them with an X on one side and an O on the other so that you can monitor and get confused in your turning. Turn them 3 - 5 times a day to keep the embryo exercised.

Good luck. [​IMG]

5. Mom2Cool

May 8, 2008
    Thanks again MissPrissy they're resting as we speak & it'll be so cute if it works & we get a hatching out of it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by