What temp to trick Bobs into breeding out of season?

Sumatra503

Kozy Orchard Farms
10 Years
Sep 24, 2010
I know that they need at least 14-16 daylight ours in order to be tricked, but I can't remember the temperature they need.

The hens don't run when the Roo tries to mount them, but they don't just stand still either, so I know they just aren't ready. Also I am getting no eggs from them with the ammount of light I have. i have it up to 15 daylight hours in the bird room and it is about 65 in there on average. They are being fed a 23% protein ration.

I was also wondering if breeding in pairs is an acceptable practice since I currently have two pairs.

Yes, yes, yes. All seems good. Will take at least two weeks to get into the swing of things. Just remember, they arnt coturnix. You are doing all you can, its up to the birds.

And if it was me id try to get higher protien food, 23% is fine 30% is ideal

It is hard to get Bobs to kick into breeding mode in the off season. Lighting will cause them to lay and they will mate on and off. But they never do get into the groove. Sometimes I have had to use heat lamps at night on my Bobs to keep them warm when the temps stay below zero for long periods. The girls will all lay eggs fairly well, but the boys just don't "do their thing" very regularly. So yes, the fertility drops way down.

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
You need a "mood" lamp instead of a heat lamp
lau.gif
gig.gif

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif

Yeah....we are all right out of the 60's here man! LOL...LOL

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif

Setting up blacklight posters and lava lamps for them now ..... the hardest part is making those tiny fringed vests for the roos.....
hide.gif
lau.gif

Quote:

Setting up blacklight posters and lava lamps for them now ..... the hardest part is making those tiny fringed vests for the roos.....
hide.gif
lau.gif

Hmmmm.....make us all feel right at home! Now you are getting the hang of it!!
gig.gif
lau.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom