what temperature do i close my coop windows?

momofthree

Songster
10 Years
Jan 5, 2010
Skiatook, OK
The night time temps are getting in the low 40's with tonights low supposedly at around 38....My coop has windows that when open, allow a breeze to go through the coop at chicken level on the floor..with the top of the open part of the windo about two foot below the roosts. i have left them open all summer....do i need to be closing them up now?

Leave them open for now.

Actually, in the South we build chicken house opposite of yours. The bottom is closed in up to 4' then the top has wire from to the roof line. The top section is never closed: ever. The roost poles are set at 4' from the ground; so they are always where the open air is located.

I wouldn't close them ever. Chickens need the ventilation, otherwise you have cold moist air in the coop and that can lead to disease. Air flow is very important. They have nice fluffy feathers and friends to snuggle with to keep warm.

I have my vents up near the roof (I have a converted shed as a coop). I live in Maine and I close up the windows when it hits 40F. I do have the chicken door open all day long, only closed for night time. They must have good ventilation in order to stay healthy and dry. Too much moisture is never good. But drafts are not good either. A slow seeping of air is ventilation but a draft is direct cold air blowing/forcing in, that the birds cannot get away from while roosting.

I am not sure if that'll help you or get you more confused.

I have two very large windows slightly above roost level in my adult coop. I start closing the shutters over the windows when nighttime temps. drop below 40.
I have ventilation at the very top of the coop walls, at roof level, that stay open year round.

I was just thinking the same thing! What about the pop doors? I have three coops that are Amish-built playhouses. They open up onto a large covered run. We don't live on the farm full-time and I've been leaving the windows and doors open all the time. They have plenty of room under the windows so I don't think they would get drafts from those but the pop doors are another story. I'm in SC so we rarely have below freezing temps but it will get down that low sometimes during the winter at night. I've only had chickens since Spring so the winter is new to me!

SugarHill,

If you are in SC (excepting the mountains) then NEVER, EVER close the windows/vents. Amish built? You are pulling my leg aren't you????? lol.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom