What temperature is too high?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AreYouLoved, Jan 28, 2012.

1. AreYouLoved

AreYouLoved Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2012
    Norman OKLAHOMA
    Just out of curiosity..How high does the incubator temperature have to be before it ruins the chicken egg and kills the embryo? I know it is supposed to be 99.5 degrees. I think I may have misread the tiny thermometer that came with my incubator. I hope not. [​IMG]

Samantha in OK

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Don't rely on the thermometer that came with the incubator. Get a decent one and calibrate it so you know what you are dealing with.

Rebel’s Thermometer Calibration
    http://cmfarm.us/ThermometerCalibration.html

I don't have a specific answer to your question. It depends on how high that temperature is and how long it is there. It's not a big deal for it to be a bit high. Mine runs warmer than I'd like and it works OK. The eggs just hatch a bit early. If you are within a half degree, I seriously doubt you will have any problems whatsoever, other than them hatching early. If you are within a degree, I doubt you will have much if any problem, though I'd start to get concerned. But I don't have a specific temperature where the problems start. I just know that a little bit off is not going to hurt you and the further off you are, the more likely you are to have problems. Just get a decent thermometer, calibrate it, and do the best you can.

3. Syharrison

Syharrison Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2011
    i heard 102 is too high

4. Tylerkaz@gmail.com

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2012
    Washougal, WA
    is it still air or does it have a fan? with still air it can be a little higher.

5. billiejo21

billiejo21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Depends on the incubator and where the thermometer is sitting. On top of the eggs, on the floor of the incubator???

6. DangerChickenHouse

DangerChickenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Mine hit 102 more than once and my chicks lived through it.

7. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    My thermometer went up to 107 and chicks still made it, I think it all depends how long it stays there.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by