What temperature to have the heat lamp for my chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rdcowman, Mar 25, 2017.

1. rdcowman

rdcowman Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2016
    Iowa
    My Coop
    Hi! I'm getting 3 pullets tomorrow afternoon and i was wondering if anyone could tell me what temperature i need to have my heat lamp! How do i tell how hot the heat lamp is?

Thanks!

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    How old are they? Are they day olds? If so you need it to be 95 degrees under the heat lamp. You would measure this with a thermometer.

Their behavior will tell you how they are feeling. If they are piled up on top of each other under the heat lamp, it is too cold and you need to lower it. If they are spreading out as far away from the heat lamp and each other as possible, it's too hot and you need to raise it. If they are active and happy and acting normally, then the temperature is just right.

3. rdcowman

Oct 28, 2016
    Iowa
    My Coop
    The person that i'm getting them from said there pullets! So i googled it and they said 15 to 22 weeks old! Got it! What kind of thermometer??

4. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Pullets are female chicks of any age. Ask how old they are. If they are 15 to 22 weeks old they don't need heat.

5. rdcowman

Oct 28, 2016
    Iowa
    My Coop
    Ok! Will they still need to be in a brooder? How old do chickens need to be to go in with my other chickens?

6. rdcowman

Oct 28, 2016
    Iowa
    My Coop
    I just talked to the person that i'm getting the chicks from and he said there 3 and 1/2 weeks old!

7. rdcowman

Oct 28, 2016
    Iowa
    My Coop
    i have another question, is it ok to have my chicks that i'm getting, (once there old enough to go in with my other chickens) go in with my other chickens since they won't be debeaked? the chickens i have now are debeaked!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by