1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What temperature to keep eggs untill ready to put in the incubator?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by HowieNZ, Oct 6, 2013.

1. HowieNZ

HowieNZ Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2013
    Dunedin, New Zealand
    Finally my first quail egg, after getting my quail in the middle of the southern hemisphere winter, spring is finally here[​IMG]. Excited. What I need to know is what temperature to store the eggs until I have enough to try my first attempt at incubating, hopefully at the very worst I should have 7 eggs (what my little incubator takes) in a few days depending on whether my other hens also start laying?
    [​IMG]

Thanks HowieNZ

2. SeptemberQuail

SeptemberQuail Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2012
    Australia
    Yay! Although, I wouldn't incubate the very first egg. They're usually smaller than normal as the hen's body is just getting ready to start a long line of laying eggs daily. Wait a few more days, maybe even a week for all the hens to lay more so the eggs will be of normal size. I kept my eggs at room temperature before I incubated them.

3. HowieNZ

HowieNZ Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2013
    Dunedin, New Zealand
    Thanks for the info, arrived home this afternoon to find another egg, presumably by another hen.[​IMG]
    cheers HowieNZ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by