What temperature would be OK for my pet chicken inside the coop?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Haleyandfancy, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Haleyandfancy

Haleyandfancy New Egg

Jun 11, 2014
    Hello! Recently, my pet chicken, Fancy, stays in her coop at night because of the cold temperatures. We normally try to keep her coop at 65% at night and let her out during the day, at least that is the temperature she is used to. Tonight, it is 44%, and I am wondering if i should turn her heater back on, or leave it off. I have heard that chickens tolerate cold weather well, but I'm afraid since she is used to the 65%, that she will not like the colder 44%. Fancy sure seems like she enjoys her heater![​IMG]
    (and yes, i spoil my little baby a lot) [​IMG][​IMG]

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Chickens do tolerate the cold well, but not so much when they're going from a heated space to a chilly one. When you walk out of your heated house into the cold, its a shock, right? Chickens are no different. If you'd have left the heat off in the coop, she wouldn't being going from one extreme to the other. But, since you've been running a heater, you should probably continue to keep it on until the outside temperatures are close to the coop temp.

Does Fancy have any coop mates? If not, you should really consider getting her one or two. Chickens are social creatures.

Anyway, best of luck to you :)

3. Haleyandfancy

Haleyandfancy New Egg

Jun 11, 2014
    Okay thank you so much!
    Fancy had some chicken friends, but sadly they passed away.[​IMG]She does hang around the goats; they sleep together and cuddle during the day, its really cute[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by