what temps & conditions do you fly your pigeons in?

farmgirlshelley

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 25, 2008
Kentucky
It has been nice here lately, sometimes in the 50s. I flew my roller pigeons the other day and it was in the 50s. They all did well. The young ones are still not flying much they just fly up and land on the roof of the barn but I am hoping they will fly more with time. What are your thoughts? One pigeon had a hard time getting back to the barn because of the wind. Do you fly when it is windy or not?

I have white homers I find my birds get shack happy if I do not fly them daily. When I toss my birds I take in account wind chill, temperature, distance, age and condition of each individual bird.

I do a loft release when the winds are quite strong and temperatures are arctic conditions.

By watching your flock you then know what conditions your particular flock like by the amount of time it takes the flock to return to the loft.

You will then take note that some birds on different days will stay out different times regardless of conditions..

Last edited:
I flew them today but one of them looks sick and didn't fly at all. I have no idea what is wrong and I had to leave so I will have to bring her in the house tonight and check her out :(

I came home tonight and brought the pigeon in but she died almost immediately. so sad
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom