What temps do you confine to the coop?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Newtohens, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Newtohens

Newtohens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2010
    It is pretty cold and nasty here in upstate NY. The past few days the temps have been in the low 20's and into the teens at night. We have a wicked wind that blows almost 24/7, but they do have a wind block of tarps and straw bales. They are shut in at night, but I have been letting them out in the morning and closing them in around 4:30PM. Does anyone ever keep their girls confined if its gets too cold? If you do at what temps or conditions do you decide to keep them inside?

2. Hippie Chicks Mom

Hippie Chicks Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Near Old Forge NY
    I do keep my girls in when it gets this cold. (I too am in upstate NY). Wind and moisture are killers to chickens. Draft free, moisture free coop is important. I also use a heat lamp when temps plummet, we will be getting below 0 this weekend. Lots of extra hay, food to keep their stores up and check water to keep it from freezing. Good Luck

3. cheri222

cheri222 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Erie PA
    I kept mine in today, blizzard, white out most of the day. Took them a warm snack at dusk and everyone seemed fine. My dogs didn't even want to be out. Thats the best indicator to me because they love the cold.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I think we made it to 24 degrees today, with windchills far below that. I might as well have kept their pop door closed, because I don't think ventured out at all. Who can blame them?? I'll probably keep the pop door closed during the day when windchills take us into the single digits...

5. aka Rachel

aka Rachel Chillin' With My Peeps

I never confine them exactlly..but when strong wind is blowing straight in the pop door, I leave it closed.

They generally don't come out when the wind is blowing strong anyway, might as well save the heat in the coop! ...and keep the water unfrozen [​IMG]

edited to add, this only happens about 5 times a winter

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  6. eggbudd

eggbudd New Egg

Dec 6, 2010
    I have found webs sites that say, as long as they have a place out of the open they should by all right, there is no need for heat lamps, they will all bunch together and keep each other warm. Alsoo they said to feed them at night to keep their crops full and this will help keep them warm too. Is this true. I live in wyoming and it gets pretty cold, my girls and one roost seem to be doing just fine. They all hudle around the roost.

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I never confine mine... only at night.
    Well... unless there is raging blizzard outside...
    Otherwise i let them decide of they want to go out or not.

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Im in way upstate NY too-we leave the door open about 1 ft for them to walk in and out but when they dont come out for a few days then I know its time to leave door shut at all times until it warms up-that way it keeps all body heat and such inside for them-it was 4 degrees this am and didnt get warmer than 22!

9. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:To an extent it's true. If they have a draft free place to huddle together, unfrozen water available, and proper food, most say that healthy, fully feathered chickens will do fine down to zero degrees and even a bit below that. Many feed more scratch than normal for extra energy, since they spend more energy trying to stay warm. Make sure your roost boards are wide enough so that their feathers totally cover the toes when roosting.

10. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I do not confine in response to weather. Even on coldest day of year, they will come out. They move quickly from one patch of cover to next. If snow greater than 4" and soft, they (games) will fly between cover patches. They will also return to barn more frequently but in my situation this limits feeding opportunities. They also eat more, lots!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by