what the actual hell?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KelsiNS, Nov 17, 2013.

1. KelsiNS

KelsiNS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2013
    Buna, TX
    [​IMG] i removed this from my easter egger Xena. It showed up the same time my flock got avian pox. It got huge and ended up consuming her face. I cleaned it today and it started coming off in yellow chunks (you get the visual because i got it under my nails). Ive been wiping it and dousing in ointment. Everyone else cleared up-Xenas got worse and she got listless.

It came off with a little persistence and a swipe on the top with a scalpel to make sure no blood vessels are in it.

[​IMG] this is xena post surgery. Yikes, right? The mass has pollops in it, like it was a cluster of mini masses and infection. It has hardley bled, so little that a white towel did not stain. Shes a little droopy but pooped and drank water-shes being monitored as i type.

What in the hell did i just get off my chickens face?!

2. KelsiNS

Jun 24, 2013
    Buna, TX
    [​IMG]

Shes eating quite happily despite looking like an alien.

3. MelissaTXRn

MelissaTXRn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    How is xena? The yellow chunks would indicate infection and when the eye is involved
    It's usually a respiratory infection. She needs to be in antibiotics. Hope she is doing well.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  5. KelsiNS

Jun 24, 2013
    Buna, TX
    It was definately tissue and not a lump of pus. I wish i could have gotten better pics.

I have antibiotics coming tomorrow-i had to order them. Shes doing well, its beginning to scab and is understandably itchy. I clean it twice a day and glob neosporin on it. The tissue is directly over 90% of her eyelid, and imbginning to think it will likely scar like that.

Besides getting a little worn out (we have respiratory issues thanks to 80 degree one day and 28 the following morning-im sick too!) She is eating and drinking fine, and still going bananas for treats. Hopefully my meds will arrive early tomorrow, i have a rooster that sounds like he has asthma, a sexlink with runny eyes, and two runny eyed easter eggers. Ive just had to manage the symptoms while i wait on medication.

6. MelissaTXRn

MelissaTXRn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    I was going more by what you said. " coming off in yellow chunks" I hope the antibiotics help all of them.

7. KelsiNS

Jun 24, 2013
    Buna, TX
    Okay, we had runny eyes in several. 99% ate the bread soaked in meds, two were stubborn and got an injection instead.

Today only one got a stick, everyone else ate bread.

Noticed Xena's eyelid has dried. With a little work and a wet rag, we may open an eye today!

My RIR roo is still gasping, but has an appetite and attitude.

How many days on .25cc Tylan 50 before i notice a difference? (.25 because they're 16 weeks and not full grown yet).

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Did any of the birds have a bad smell about their heads, which might be coryza? Usually I have heard that you should see an improvement in 3 days using Tylan. It is not given more than 5 days by shot usually. Sulfadimethixine (Di-Methox) as well as Sulmet can be used to treat coryza. It helps to get one tested or necropsied to know what you are dealing with.

9. KelsiNS

Jun 24, 2013
    Buna, TX
    Nowhere to test-and nobody has died.
    No funky smells-looking forward to seeing results

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by