What' the best automatic chicken door?

mritti

In the Brooder
May 3, 2020
I am ready to buy an automatic door but there are so many to choose from and many of the reviews I've read are from 2018 so wondering if there are 2019/20 models that I should look at with improvements. Our coop is enclosed in a very predator proofed run but I still would like to close it up for the nights. I'd like it to be WIFI and battery enabled since it doesn't get that much sun under the big oak. I would also love to have a feature where it could open again if one of the hens didn't get in on time. From what I have read they start to know and if the sun is down they're already in there coop. Thanks for any advice.

Don't know about any WIFI ones. I have the advanced auto coop door that is sold at Fleming. Locally made in PA. It uses GPS coordinates so I never have to set the clock at DST & has second opening. It runs on electric or battery (It has battery backup). It can be set as a timer or works at sunrise & sunset with any amount of time before or after either. I have only the module, because I already had a homemade plexiglass door. I had only minor problems & have used it for 5 years.

20200613_105554.jpg
I have been using the chicken gaurd premium for about a month now. I have it open at 6:30am and use the light sensor to close at night. No problems so far. It is on the outside of my coop but under the run roof.

I just started researching this.. So many choices and most of them cost a buttload! I have been looking into ways of constructing my own. I can't see how a time operated pulley is $100+ :eek:

I have a chicken guard installed inside the coop. So it needed to work in a shady environment too. I can choose between lumen en timer setting.

The coop has a big window and its installed to work on daylight. I have adjusted the lumen for a darker environment to close/open and have no problems with chickens left outside.

I don’t need any wifi to check. If the batteries are getting low there is a warning light. The batteries need changing after 1.5 years or so. I can open and close the door manually if I want to.
A few months ago I had a problem because the roof was leaking and the wire got wet. After drying and a reset it works great again. Have this chicken guard 5 years now.

I loved my chicken guard premium, until it stopped working. It went about 2.5 years and then just died, I changed batteries, nothing. Dead.
I am guessing it is out of warranty. Is @chickenguardusa still around?

Gary
My chicken guard stopped working after 5 years because of a leaking roof. Couldn’t get it working too. So I thought I had to buy a new one. But to my surprise I got instructions from the web-shop how to reset it. And its working great again.
read more: /chicken-guard-problem-open-close.1348780/#post-22216579

Back
Top Bottom