1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

*What The Black Shoulder!*

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by AndysPeafowlSanctuary, Jan 30, 2011.

1. AndysPeafowlSanctuary

AndysPeafowlSanctuary Chillin' With My Peeps

My black shoulder peacock is taking FOREVER to grow his train back. All my other peacocks trains have grown in pretty quick already. I remember last year he grew his 2nd train in rather quickly and it was a beautiful train being he was only 2. Is this normal ? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    My understanding is the 3rd one can be the roughest- bump up his protein and fat. Give him mealworms and good wet cat food.

I should say my knowledge on this is all from reading...my own are less than a year old.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  3. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Wow yeah that train is short...It could just be him. Some peacocks trains grow faster some grow slower than others it depends on when he shed his 2 year old train. If he shed it later than your other birds then it just seems like he is growing it back slower but that is only because he shed it later than others...Just guessing though...[​IMG]

4. Pavo Royale

Pavo Royale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2009
    Gainesville, GA
    Could be a good thing...he could make sure the late season eggs are fertile.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by