What the "bleep" is a "frosted"

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by iajewel, Apr 29, 2009.

1. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    I was contected about my silkies.. Cuckoo Silkies if that helps and the person ask if I have "frosted" I know we live in the age of "designer" dogs, birds etc.. but Im lost.. what is "frosted"?

2. ravencreek

ravencreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Benton TN
  3. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    wowwww frosted now theres a new one to me i dont blame you for freaking out hahaha.

4. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Wow thats really nice acctually. Like a splash color but with bars.

5. Vcomb

Vcomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    South Dakota
    My Coop
    judgin by that pic frosteds will only be roosters because what that rooster is is a cuckoo silkie with two genes for cuckoo. I refer to this as "double cuckoo" and I've also heard it called "silver cuckoo"

6. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    Must be the same person that contacted me about silkies, and she mentioned "frosted" as well.

7. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Quote:How do you get double cuckoo genes into one bird?

8. Vcomb

Vcomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    South Dakota
    My Coop
    Quote:How do you get double cuckoo genes into one bird?

it happens in roosters only. hens will only have 1 gene for cuckoo or no gene for cuckoo. roosters can have 1, 2 or none. if none they aren't barred. the darker cuckoos have only 1 gene. to get it you breed a cuckoo roo to a cuckoo hen.

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    All chickens have two copies of every gene, one on each chromosome of a chromosome pair. EXCEPT for the sex chromosome pair.

Males have two Z chromosomes; females have one Z chromosome and one W chromosome. The Z chromosome is longer than the W chromosome, and thus contains genes that are not on the W. Think of it like this:

Z --------------------------------------------
    W ---------------------------------

The genes that are on Z but not on W are the sex-linked genes.

Theoretically, any sex-linked gene could be used to create sex-linked offspring, but many are impractical because the trait is not apparent or doesn't develop until the bird is older.

The two genes most commonly used to create sex-links are silver and barring. If you breed a hen carrying the dominant allele to a cock carrying two copies of the recessive allele the offspring will be visually different at hatching.

With silver, S- + ss gives Ss sons and s- daughters. With barring, B- + bb gives Bb sons and b- daughters.

If you take the sex-linked males and try to re-create the link, you would have
    Ss + S- and have SS, Ss, S- & s- offspring
    or
    Bb + B- and have BB, Bb, B- & b- offspring

When a hen creates an egg, she gives it a single set of chromosomes built from all the genes she carries. If she gives it a Z chromosome, the egg could develop into a son; if she gives it a W chromosome, the egg could develop into a daughter. When a cock fertilizes the egg, he gives it a single set of chromosomes built from all the genes he carries. He always supplies a Z chromosome.

10. Windchyme

Windchyme Silkies n Sebs

Quote:He is a single gened cuckoo, I know because I bred him. I am having the hardest time reliably coming up with them though. Am working on that now though.

Windchyme

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by