What the duck is the problem

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by stephen k, Feb 6, 2014.

1. stephen k

stephen k Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2013
    Ireland
    Hey guys!me and my gf have 5 ducks and we have owned them for around 3 months!we feed them regularly an clean there water.we open the door to let them roam the yard but they hate us.if we come within a inch of them they go nuts.running away and quacking like were going to kill them.we love them so wats the prob?

2. Finny

Finny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    Did you handle them a lot when they were young? Handling them when they are young gets them friendlier. It might be too late for that now so I would use treats, treats and more treats. Try handfeeding them peas or dried mealworms. All ducks seem to like those treats. They will soon associate you with yummy treats and will come to you instead of running away. Hope this helps! Good luck[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Chicken man 35

Chicken man 35 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2014
    Augusta, GA

This is the best thing do do

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Part of it is just duck personality, part of it is their history and how they were raised. Finny gives good advice here. I also like spending quiet time nearby, perhaps sitting a few feet from the pen, reading, playing music, singing, talking gently. In addition to treats. of course.

There is a thread on feeding chickens fodder. I have found my ducks love it, too.

1 person likes this.
  5. stephen k

stephen k Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2013
    Ireland
    Thanks for your advice guys very much appreciated :)

6. nayeli

nayeli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2014
    Sorry, I'm sure that isn't wonderful for ya'll. I have always read you want to get them young and socialize them or get them from someone who did.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by