what the H-E-Double hockey sticks is going on?!

Mandalina

Songster
10 Years
Apr 1, 2009
Savannah,MO
My broody up and left her clutch of eggs last night, they are due to hatch between this wed and fri. She was acting off last night when I was out there, then I went out to check on her this am and she was in full attack mode but had buried her eggs in the shavings and deconstructed her nest. why would she do that??? She went after me several times then ran out the open door to the area I had her sectioned off in and didnt look back.I think my roo is more concerned about the eggs than she is at this point, he came to check on them himself since she up and left them.
The eggs were chilly despite the coop sitting at 80, so I threw my other broody on them and she is currently taking care of them. Is there any chance they will still hatch after getting chilled so late in the game?

I'm not a brilliant hatching person, but that is really odd behavior. Sounds like she was really scared by something and tried to protect her nest by hiding it and running in the opposite direction. But really, I am not sure. Guessing the eggs will be alright since you were right on it. I too would like to hear what others have to say on the matter.

I candled them last week and tossed the 2 that were not developing but the other 5 looked great. I should mention this is a year old hen and her first time being broody.I was thinking maybe something scared her too, but I dont know what since none of my other birds seem to be in a panic.

Some hens go broody but never follow through , I have had that happen too. She could have gotten scared or maybe she just decided not to anymore. If you have a bator you can always try to finish them there, or if the other broody will stay on them leave them be. I have been blessed that most of my broodies young and older have been pretty good mom's. I had a bantam cochin that stunk at it, she would go broody and would not let them hatch, so what I used to do was let her incubate, and I would have one or two day old chicks and stick them under her and take the eggs and let them hatch in the bator then give them to her to hatch. She would raise them just would not let them hatch.

I just ran out and checked on Muffinz and she is sitting on all 5 eggs and happy as could be (except for the stink eye I got for going near her...)

Porkchop the first broody is a cochin banty, so if Muffinz.The only other of my hens to ever go broody is my silkie and she gives up like clockwork on day 10 and wanders off.

Back
Top Bottom