1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What the Heck am I Doing WRONG?!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by rodriguezpoultry, Sep 17, 2009.

1. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    OK, so round two started hatching today. One hatched out perfectly, was drying off and I thought "alright!"

2 hours later, it's dead. What on earth? No reason, no rhyme, the yolk was fully absorbed, it was already hatched...another died in the shell but was pipped, I have another one hatching and several others trying to hatch. What on earth is going on?!

2. texasbartrambaby

texasbartrambaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    Tulia, Texas
    I don't know, but here's a bump for someone that does. So sorry this is happening to you.

3. quailbrain

quailbrain Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Oregon
    Could you tell us more? Do you leave them in the incubator and for how long before going to the brooder? Usually pipped in the shell means low humidity. What do you run your humidity at? Even if you have high humidity when it is shut if it is being opened up a lot to see what's happening you can loose to much of the precious humidity.

4. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    very strange could if have drowned in the wter in the bator? oh have been to cold (not possible if still in bator though...) yes more info please [​IMG]

5. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Humidity was at 65%. I have been using a straw to add humidity for the past 2 days. The chick had hatched out, and then when I checked on it 2 hours later, it was dead. Not resting, but most definitely dead.

And now all of a sudden, there are 2 live chicks yet there was only one egg opened?

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Sometimes they just die. I know that is a cop-out answer, but that's how it is. It could be any number of things. Hopefully the others will fare better [​IMG]

7. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    Quote:So true with Quail !!

8. Cherlyn

Cherlyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    Having this same problem - have lost five in the last day. Mine are a day old. What is going on?

~Cherlyn

9. farrier!

farrier! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    What brand?
    Are they getting enough air?

I open my hatcher a lot more then some. Adding water with a straw sounds good but if you leave it in you compromise the air flow.

10. mschickychick

mschickychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Mississippi
    I've noticed sometimes it's hard to tell if an egg has been opened/hatched because it will close up after the chick get's out. It will look almost as if it was never open.

I had a chick once with it's head stuck in the egg. I think it had already hatched and happened to get it's head stuck in another shell. It's funny how those things are sort of hinged and close back up. I opened up the shell to let it out.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by