What the heck are up with these eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by zebralady, Feb 2, 2013.

1. zebralady

zebralady Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2013
    Vancouver, Washington
    For the past few days one of my hens (a seabright banty is my smallest) has been laying TINY eggs (about penny to nickle size). These eggs are never in the nest box, always just randomly around the run. I boiled them up out of curiosity and they have a yolk section but, it is white like the rest of the egg. It does have a yolky texture though. The inner membrane on these eggs is also VERY thick. Any thoughts? Are these the "fart eggs" that I have read about? I was under the impression that those were sort of rare... My other hens are laying wonderfully normal eggs.

Thanks so much for your wonderful help!

2. zebralady

Jan 12, 2013
    Vancouver, Washington
    I forgot to add that these eggs are white and the shells are almost always bumpy in spots. Not smooth like the other eggs. I just added additional lighting to my girls as well to jump start the laying for the year.....My profile also lists my chicken breeds if breed matters for this sort of thing. So far I can only confirm that 1 polish and 2 turkens are laying but, 8 of my ten all drop and do the hen "do me" position when I enter the coop or run. The 2 that don't are my 2 silkies but, no one crows....so I assume they are hens also.
    Thanks again! :>

3. RWise

RWise Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    Do they get green stuff? A diet with no color can produce whitish yolks. Not enuf protein will diminish size. I gave my girls some tuna, the EEer got most of it (she can be a pig) and her egg went up from large to not even fitting into a jumbo box. (haven't done that again as I am afraid she get egg bound) The bumps are just calcium deposits, one of my hens does that also and it is some thing her bread tends to do (barred rock). Small eggs - give more protein, lack of color - give veggies with color (tomatoes, greens, pumpkin, grass, clippings etc). Most recommend layer pellets/mash but I dont use it.

4. zebralady

Jan 12, 2013
    Vancouver, Washington
    They do get greens on a daily basis, either from left overs from us or grass. All of the other eggs I have gotten have been normal with gorgeous almost orange yolks.. They are all young hens, not yet a year old. Yesterday the banty used a nest and left me a "normal" egg... So far I haven't gotten any more of the tiny strangeness "yard eggs"....

5. RWise

RWise Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    Maybe she just needed some practice, pullets can do some strange stuff.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by