What the heck are we???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Jeffross1968, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    So, they have filled out a bit more and wanted to see what everyone thought about their gender. Guy I got them from said pullets all, but he also said 12 weeks and that wasn't the case, but I felt so sorry for them I got a few...so, without further ado...if you need another picture of one or more, let me know. They are so active it took 30 minutes of taking pics and these were the best out of 75 or so total [​IMG]

Opan the Golden Comet...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Beatrice the RIR....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Black Betty the BSL...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And finally, Big Bertha the Black JG...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    Looks like all hens to me. The combs are small and not red, there doesn't appear to be any rooster feathering.

Looks like you will have eggs on the way! [​IMG]

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    There hens but you "Rhode Island Red" is a Production Red and your "Black Giant" looks like a Black Orpington or Australorp, what color are her feet? In the picture they look White-ish.

• Black Jersey Giants - should have Willow/Black legs and Yellow on the bottom of there feet.
    • Black Australorp - should have Black/Slate legs and Pink-ish color on the bottom of there feet.
    • Black Orpingtons - should have Black/Slate legs and White color on the bottom of there feet.

Chris

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Yup yup, all girls. Though to be honest, I think your first two pictures are of Production Reds, not a SL and RIR. Red SLs have white tail feathers, and RIRs are REALLY dark red.

Either way, you'll get lots of eggs when they start!

5. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Quote:What are the difference in parents in a red sex link, and production red?

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:What are the difference in parents in a red sex link, and production red?

Sex-link-
    Are bred so that you can tell male from female at the day that they hatch.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208

Production Reds -
    There are two true types of true "Production Red" one is a R.I. Red bred solely for egg production and selectively bred solely from the R.I. Red. These birds tend to have some black in there tail and some ticking in there hackles.
    The other type of "Production Red" is a cross and the result of R.I. Red with Leghorn blood added. These birds tend to be lighter in color and may have some white in there tail.

Some Hatcheries clam that there R.I. Red /New Hampshire cross is a Production Red but this cross to me is not a true Production Red because the New Hampshire as a breed was bred solely from the
    R.I. Red for a more meat type fowl not egg production.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by