What the heck!? Broody hen now CROWING!!??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Momma_Cluck, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    We brought in a OE Bantam hen that had gone broody, and let her hatch an egg (tho she immediately attacked the chick!)
    Even after the eggs/chick were removed-- she stayed broody-- several times a day pitching a hissy-fit when she "discovered" that her eggs were missing (again)...

last 3 days, she's getting better, eating and walking around more-- then....

SHE STARTED CROWING!!
    She did it 3x yesterday when no one else was home-- so they all thought I was daffy... until today, hubby heard her do it twice!!

Besides being hilarious... I am also concerned...
    Only read about crowing hens in the absence of Roo's....???

Anyone else had this?? Will she stop once we reintroduce her to the flock?? Do you think she'll continue if we keep her as an indoor pet?? (We're afraid that the others won't accept her back-- and she's SO tiny.....)

Thanks folks!!!
    Cock-a doodle!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    My hen that crows has several roos in with her. After she started to crow, her comb got bigger, wattles got bigger and what few eggs she lays are not fertile. She even tries to mate with other hens. Im not sure if she crows anymore, I havent been able to be out in the coop like I used to be and I havent heard her crow for awhile, she still looks kind of roo like thou. .............

wanted to add that she did this after she raised a clutch of chicks.........

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  3. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

You have a dominate one! Is she like that around the flock?

4. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I caught my delaware hen trying to mate with another hen but that will be put to an end once this little rooster comes of age I can't wait [​IMG]

5. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    She's not at all like that with the flock-- she has to Roo's that are her buddies/mates and 2 other banties she pals around with... no change in comb or wattles ....

I HOPE she overcomes this-- she's one of my favorites!

Her name is "Scooter" because when she was a chick she was soo tiny she'd scoot-around under the other chicks! She is the size of a Robin..and USED to be very sweet and spoiled, but not since going broody! [​IMG]

6. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sounds like she's getting a little crazy not having a rooster to keep her in line. I would bet she will be back to normal once you put her back with everyone else.
    As far as attacking the chick... I have a silkie that did that same thing. [​IMG] She's on the bottom of the pecking order but is a very good pet. She's not mean or aggressive at all so I have no idea why she did that. Not all hens are good mothers. Your little hen might be like my Gwen in that respect.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by