What the heck came out of my hen???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by StaceySpins, Dec 25, 2012.

1. StaceySpins

StaceySpins Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2012
    Yesterday (the 23rd) Lacey had a bit of poo sticking to the feathers around her vent. I got a hold of her and checked her out but everything looked good except for the poo feathers. This morning all the girls were trotting around the yard happy. Early this evening Lacey looked a little droopy in the tail, she was fluffed up and walking slowly when I called them all to the kitchen door. She is usually the first in line for a snack but this evening she was not interested. After they all went into the coop to bed down for the evening I went to check on her and found a small, squashy mass sticking to her rump just under her vent.
    [​IMG]
    This is Lacey

Today is Christmas Day and this came out of our hen Lacey. It is not the gift I was hoping for.

[​IMG]

I made the photos large so you could really see what it looks like. It was just hanging on her feathers. The other hens had not noticed it so I reached in and grabbed it (ewww I know!) She didn't protest, just looked mildly annoyed that I was reaching around her nether regions. I had my husband get the pet carrier and I brought her inside. I gave her a warm soak and inspected her vent more closely (I am worried about prolapse) Her vent looks normal, not as pink as it has been, but nothing falling or sticking out. I am also worried about her possibly being egg bound, as the small amount of poo in the carrier was anemic looking and more along the lines of small blobs trying to stick together. After cleaning her up and drying her off I cleaned the carrier, put fresh bedding down, gave her water and a small bowl of layer mash mixed with warm water and yogurt (she ate a good deal of it) and settled her down in a quiet spot.

Some internet searches came up with the term lash or a lash. Could this be a lash?

She is about 31 weeks old, started laying about 2-3 weeks ago. She did not want to lay in the nesting boxes at first, preferring a leaf pile next to my compost bin. After confining the girls to the coop for two days (due to a hawk scare) she started laying in the coop but not in the boxes. All her eggs have had a little smear of poo on them. They are a light brown and about 2oz in weight.

Any ideas about what this thing could be and what course of action I need to take if any? Tonight I am keeping her in the house for observation.

[​IMG]

2. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    It looks like a rubbery, thin shell of an egg to me, without the egg. I've seen a couple of these in my own flock, when my girls were young and first began to lay. As she gets older her egg laying will become more regular and "mistakes" like this will be rare. Make sure she is getting sufficient calcium - a good quality laying ration and perhaps oyster shell supplement - so that her body has enough calcium for shell formation. I wouldn't worry about her unless you start seeing these on a regular basis.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    x2

4. cowcreekgeek

cowcreekgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    Excellent post, in that you've laid out the details almost as well as you treated your bird, but I've a better Chrismas present than she gave you: She's gonna be just fine ~'-)

Here's a couple of posts, from right here on BYC, that are about other's similar experiences: Peck >>here<< or >>here<< to open 'em in a new window. Also, although I'm not thinkin' you'll need it now? Here's the best article I've seen on egg binding, so you'll be prepared in advance, should it ever happen.

5. StaceySpins

Jul 26, 2012
    Thank you all for replying! I was worried that maybe I was not doing the right thing :eek:)

Lacey spent the night in the carrier in my bedroom. She had several normal poos this morning and she passed this. Her behavior is much perkier and she is eating and moving much better. My hope is that she will regulate soon as she has had several normal eggs before this. We will keep a close eye on her tushie and watch for anything unusual coming out LOL!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    That looks like it might have been the cause of the problem - looks like it must have been uncomfortable. Glad to hear she seems much better. Good luck with her :)

7. StaceySpins

Jul 26, 2012
    Thanks RIRF!

8. cowcreekgeek

cowcreekgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    Not sure from the pic, but that looks like more of the same incident.

There are some illnesses/diseases that can cause problems w/ laying, and most are respiratory (with winter, there's a higher incident). Just because you can, and w/o harming a single feather? Switch your flock's water out for an astringent solution of Apple Cider Vinegar at the rate of four teaspoons to each gallon (but not in galvanized metal containers). The tannin in ACV 'cuts through' the coatings in the mouth, throat and intestines, and helps the birds to more easily expel the mucus. It also improves the uptake of vitamins/nutrients, and boost their immune systems. And, a bunch of other good stuff, for a price that's literally cheaper than dirt.

9. StaceySpins

Jul 26, 2012
    It is a different color than the first one. This second one looks more like a deflated balloon.

I will try the ACV. My water set up is a pvc pipe with nipples and a 5gal plastic bucket. With the weather getting much colder here in NJ I have been putting a bowl of fresh water out for them several times a day because the nipples freeze. I found a submersable heating tape that I can snake down the pvc to keep things liquid so I am going to try that.

I did not know that a respetory illness could cause weird eggs, I need to do more reading on that subject.

Thank you cowcreekgeek!

10. Please help me too! My hen got attacked by a weasel and she hasn't been laying of course, but she's been staying in my room with me. Yesterday I went ahead and cut all the feathers away around her vent cause even her solid poop was getting stuck to them. Then I saw blood and freaked out! I thought I cute her open, but she just sat there asleep. Then I inspected everything that I cut off her and her skin. No cuts, bruises or even a drop of blood on her! Then I inspected the shavings that came off. There was a snake egg like thing that was cut in half. It looked like a jelly donut! I thought maybe since she's stressed she laid a soft shelled egg, but it was about the size of a quarter and it was full of blood. She didn't poop any yolk either, but the thing is that it was full of blood. Eggs don't have blood in them till later stages. Can they poop out an organ??

Thanks for any help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by