What the heck can i do with all these eggs?!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by syble, Sep 25, 2011.

1. syble

syble Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    I don't have that many mature coturnix about 20 with at least 6 being males... I am getting alot of eggs... i mean a lot! like 1 of the quads is laying 5 or 6 eggs in a day... I know there's a male and 3 females, but i collect 2-3 eggs first thing in the morning, then another around 3 in the afternoon, then more just before lights off... Is that healthy? All of them are all over the place laying wise, they will lay one day but not for a day or two then they will lay 2 or even 3 times in a day.

I don't eat eggs that often maybe once a week we'll scramble up a bunch and make french toast or scrambled eggs or what have you. Needless to say we cant keep up! I boiled up all the eggs last weekend, and am already up to 7 filled margarine dishes again this week. Prolific layers doesn't even begin to describe these guys.... thank god one pen is molting (i think lol).

No one in our household has the time most days to make a proper breakfast so thats out, and not many of us like pickled eggs, so thats probably not a good option either.... What else is there? Would it be worth boiling them up and feeding them to the turkeys or chickens, or will that just encourage egg breaking?

2. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    Boil 'em up, grind them shell and all, then make 'em treats for the other birds. Having them cooked usually prevents the eater from having the bright idea nightlight over their head go off and start eating eggs from the nest.

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    SO LONG AS THE EGGS ARE COOKED AND SERVED IN SUCH A WAY AS TO PREVENT THEM FROM BEING RECOGNIZED AS EGGS YOU SHOULDNT HAVE AND EGG EATING BEHAVIORS ~~~ BASICALLY MUSH THEM UP TO THE POINT OF BEING UNRECOGNIZEABLE.

NOW YOU COULD ALWAYS INCUBATE THEM AND ADD TO YOUR FLOCK, OR START MEAT FARMING THEM FOR YOUR FAMILY'S CONSUMPTION. OR I LIKE TO LET 'EM SET IN THE BATOR FOR A COUPLE OF WEEKS AND GET GOOD AND STINKY [​IMG] THEN USE THEM AS SLING SHOT AMMO FOR THE NEIGHBORHOOD DOGS THAT RUN LOOSE.... NUTHIN CLEARS A HOUSE FULL OF REDNECKS OUT LIKE A ROTTEN EGG PAINTED DOG [​IMG]

4. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Quote:now THAT's a [​IMG]

5. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. syble

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    lolha! I had been incubating a bunch, but now that we're heading into colder months, I'm gonna hold off on any more hatches till spring.

So would coarse chopping the boiled eggs work out ok then? I wonder if they will help add weight to my turkeys?!

7. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    If you have dogs of your own, they love them hard boiled - shells and all. Just watch for possible allergies (I found that out the hard way with my GSD - eww!) Timber doesn't get eggs at all, cooked or raw now. lol

Great source of protein for them - my toy poodle thinks quail eggs were designed just for her since they're her size.

8. syble

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    I have a great Pyrnese X mastiff lab, i can't imagine how many she would eat lol. I've also been told they get bad farts!

9. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    Raw eggs will make a dogs coat shine fed with 1 meal a week (the equivilant of 1 chicken egg per dog). Also you could give them to anybody you know who wants them to eat. I don't think they would put much weight on your turkeys but they shouldn't do any harm.

10. Mek

Mek Chillin' With My Peeps

baked custard?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by