What the heck did I find in this egg?!?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Moochie, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    So as I was cooking an egg this morning I found this.. Thing...
    It was flesh colored, really tiny about the size of a pepper seed (I thought it was a pepper seed), I took it out with chop sticks and it wasn't hard, in fact I think I smushed it, it was outside of the yolk, and it sorta scared me. I called my mom and she didn't know what it was either.

2. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    Sounds like a meat spot. It normally happens when the hen's system goes out of whack for a day or so. Nothing to worry about.

3. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Quote:Whew I thought my girls had some sort of parasite that got in the egg.

4. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    LOL I find them in my eggs every once in a while. I just pick them out and scramble them up.

5. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Those "pepper seeds" are nothing to worry about. I get those quite often actually- especially when the eggs are on the larger size.

6. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Yikes! i've never found anything like that in my eggs.

7. bibkel

bibkel Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    I read about this when I did a search for double yolks. That led me on a great trail of info. Do a search on Google, I wish I still remembered the site. Search double yolk,

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    meat spot. I had a GCMaran that laid huge eggs, EVERY single egg she laid had a meat spot.
    Grossed out a few egg customers.

9. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    If hens lay very large eggs, then it can rip their meat tissue while forming.

10. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Things like meat spots are why people that sell eggs candle them. My great grandmother candled her eggs, that she sold. Eggs you buy in the store are candled and any with meat spots or blood spots are diverted for a different market. Most of the people on this forum that sell their eggs as a hobby don't bother. I don't candle eggs for my own use, but if meat spots or blood spots really bother a person, it's easy enough to do with a little flashlight and only takes a second. Unless the egg has a really dark shell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by