what the heck did I get myself into?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SoPerr, Mar 9, 2015.

1. SoPerr

SoPerr Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2015
    Hi there,
    I'm a HS biology teacher with a new zoology class this year. I decided that raising chickens (eggs to feathers) would be my class's semester final.
    SO i have the eggs ordered, the incubator set up, the brooder almost ready to go. And then looked at the calendar to see when they would hatch. oops. over easter break.

then I'm going to take them home when they are grown..... so I need to figure out a place to keep them.

oh, boy, lots of work for me.

2. newtnn

newtnn Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2014
    Fennville, Michigan
    Welcome to BYC! and that project sounds amazing. Best of luck with it, and if you need any advice or encouragement you came to the right place!

3. olliegrow

olliegrow Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2014
    yes its lts lots of work hatching out chicks, get your temp stabilized and calibrated in your incubator. Room temp should be no less than 65F or your incubator wont get to temp. 21 days later you should have some hatching chicks. Get a brooder set up and good luck ! Welcome and try and enjoy the experience !!

4. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Maybe its not too late to get the order delayed for a few days?... to get past Easter break? It lowers the hatchability odds to hold eggs very long, but apparently 7-10 days after laying is still good. I would hate to see the students miss the "big event"

Welcome and best of luck!

5. WldFlwrs

WldFlwrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2015
    Grapeland, Texas
    I did a similar project in high school biology class, but with guineas. It's still one of my favorite memories of school and one of my favorite projects I ever got to do.
    Good luck and keep us posted :)

6. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG]Welocme to BYC!!! It is an aweosme forum (the BEST in the world) and has a great comminity!!! Hope you have a great time and learn A LOT!

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with your project!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think too that maybe you could get a later shipment - maybe if you call, they will work with you - when you explain your situation. Spring break in our area is usually the 3rd. or 4th. week in March. and the school years ends in mid june.

9. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    [​IMG]

10. leilanio

leilanio Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2015
    Southern California
    Perhaps you could delay getting the eggs? This would enable them to hatch later when the kids could truly experience such a wonderful event. Welcome to the best resource for all things chicken! Lots and lots of great advice on here and a wealth of info and even coop plans if you end up keeping the girls at home after they grow :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by