What the heck did this chicken lay!? (Pics)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by epeloquin, Apr 28, 2011.

1. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    Someone in my area (Western Massachusetts) posted these pics on a local cicken forum and I have no idea what in the world her chicken layed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    That looks like a meat spot.

I read that older hens can sometimes lay this as they are getting closer to the end of their productive years. Their bodies are going through changes, sorta like women go through menopause except with chickens it is henopause.

3. Daphne16

Daphne16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    henopause, that just made me crack up. Wouldn't it be roosteropause since it is menopause not womenopause? [​IMG]

4. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    The woman said that her hens are just a year old and that egg production is down.

[​IMG]

5. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Quote:hmmm well the guys do drive us poor girls mad during this stage in life [​IMG]; however, roosteropause just does not have that fun ring to it as henopause. [​IMG]

6. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Quote:Meat spots are weird to get. Maybe there is something causing the hen's system to be out of whack?

7. Daphne16

Daphne16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Quote:hmmm well the guys do drive us poor girls mad during this stage in life [​IMG]; however, roosteropause just does not have that fun ring to it as henopause. [​IMG]

Yup I too like the ring of henopause better.
    No idea about the "egg" sorry.

8. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    Quote:what the fudgenut is that!?!?!? [​IMG]

9. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

possibly an ovary that was passed out the reproductive tract -- weird, but it does happen.

10. mboreham1

mboreham1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Carmichael, CA
    ask your friend to check for internal laying, a post on here a while ago showed the autopsy of a hen that died from internal laying, when the person cut open the hen, they found 4 masses looking a bit like that, the hen could have passed an egg that previously got stuck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by