What the heck do I do now???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cmcgoun, Jul 1, 2008.

1. cmcgoun

cmcgoun Chillin' With My Peeps

My dad told me to go ahead and get chicks about 3 week ago and he said the coop would be done by now, but we still have about 3 weeks to go, and the chicks are 7 weeks old! I have them in a 50 gallon container which right now is plenty big for the 4 chicks, but I dont think it will last much longer. Has anyone else ever been in this predicament? What do I do!

2. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Start the construction yourself, and maybe he'll jump in? [​IMG]

What do you mean by you still have 3 weeks to go? For what?

3. cmcgoun

3 weeks before the coop is finished just an estimation. I do a little bit but I cant use the table saw or anything to cut plywood.

4. ibpboo

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    I understand, I can not use stuff to cut plywood either. I wait patiently for my pens to get done. Sometimes it seems like its taking forever, that it will never get done, but then, eventually, it does!!
    So, what kind of chicks did you get? Are they for the eggs?

5. cmcgoun

Yep I got Black Australorps, and Orps, for the eggs!

6. ibpboo

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Oh, Thats so cool! Are they your first chickens? Do you get to let them out and run around some? My coop is is about 10 years old and very much in need of repair. I have four 6 year old hens in there, they also free range a lot. I also have two 3 1/2 month chicks, and they sleep in the barn and free range during the day along with a silkie hen that I am not sure of her age because my friend found and rescued her and gave her to me to nurse back to health. About 2 weeks ago, I got two more chicks and they are in a terrium right now, during the day I put them in a playhouse and then at night they come in, but they are getting too big for that, yet too little to free range, and I am in much need of another coop because the big girls will pick on the little ones, so I want to make the existing coop a little bigger with an area that the littler ones can escape into away from the bigger ones, either that, or another whole coop completely!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by