what the heck happened here?? her toe is missing!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by babyelle, Apr 6, 2011.

1. babyelle

babyelle Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2011
    7 day old buff Brahma's right foot. her back toe is missing [​IMG] was it pecked off? could it be a disease? she is in a decent sized brooder with 10 other chicks. it is cleaned daily and they have plenty of food and clean water...and grit. i just noticed it while i was cleaning this morning. these are my first chicks, i don't know what to do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Nothing too do. Looks like it is already healing well and doesn't appear to have any infection. She will adapt to the missing toe and be perfectly normally. If she was meant to be a show chicken, that has been stopped, but other then that she should a normal bird.

Matt

3. little_grey_bantam

little_grey_bantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Russell County
    Looks like it got hurt & healed up - could have been pecked. No worries, they don't need it too much & she'll do well with it [​IMG]

4. babyelle

babyelle Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2011
    i am giving her vitamin supplements in her water but not antibiotics..should i start? would it hurt the rest of the flock?

5. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    It actually looks pretty healed. Watch for signs of infections, but I wouldn't start antibiotics.

6. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Quote:I would not do anything now. Unless it gets infected, which I doupt will happen, the little one will be fine.

Matt

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    They can catch it in something and rip it off, too. Really, the others are right, just keep an eye on it, nothing you have to do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by