What the heck is going on??? My geese are MATING?!?!?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by TennesseeTruly, Sep 13, 2010.

1. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Okay I need some answers from people that have more experience than me! I just heard a ruckus about 30 seconds ago from my Sebastopols. It was BAD!

I went running to the door to see what was going on and my geese are all MATING!! WHAT?? It's September? What the heck is going on?? Why are they mating NOW?? I had at least 5 pairs of geese mating!! And they're still going at it! The ruckus is deafening!!!

Help!!!!

Laurie

2. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    For some reason mine are mating too. I don't worry about it, I can't control it. Hopefully the girls won't start laying and throw off the rest of the season like last year (I got clutches in late nov/early dec).

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I hope mine do that. I've got 4 Sebastepols I'm REALLY thinking of getting rid of or eating, but first I want to make sure I leave just a pair behind, but I have no clue who's boy and who's girl. [​IMG]

4. TennesseeTruly

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    For hours they were mating and mating and mating. I called Dorothy from West Tennessee and said, "HELP! My geese are mating!" LOL I'm hoping that none of them start laying yet. None of them are on laying food yet. I take them off of it a month after breeding season and don't put them back on until December.

None of my ganders are fighting and I'm not prepared to separate them yet. I'm just starting my fall chores such as reseeding grass and things. They had better KNOCK this stuff off.....NOW!!

LOL

Laurie

5. marathonmultiplesmom

marathonmultiplesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Chehalis, WA
    I have heard about geese mating in the fall from other members. idk? Maybe u will end up with some surprise goslings in a month or two.

6. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    My geese have been mating too (In France), resulting in one of mine laying 6 eggs.... four of which were crushed by the other 11 geese, one of my dogs ate one and the surviving egg is safely well hidden underneath one of my broody muscovy ducks..... will she be surprised at how fast her chick grows if it hatches!!!

Suzie
    [​IMG]

7. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    Quote:They decent sebbies? If so, don't eat, sell. Heck, if they've got nice round heads I can think of a couple interested parties with wheels. There are better meat breeds.

8. TennesseeTruly

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Quote:They decent sebbies? If so, don't eat, sell. Heck, if they've got nice round heads I can think of a couple interested parties with wheels. There are better meat breeds.

I tried to sell my extra Sebbies locally last month....dropped my price to $10!!! Not one taker!

You'd think even someone who was looking for any kind of goose would be interested at that price....nope!

9. sillysister74

sillysister74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    If I lived close I would love to get some. But I live in middle Alabama.

10. jack & mommy's duckies

jack & mommy's duckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2010
    If we can figure out how to get them over the border I'd take them for sure. I live in Ontario Canada.

I've been looking for months and cant find them anywhere. I even dream of beating people to steal their sebbies......lol...not sure how else to get them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by