What the Heck is Happening?!?:(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 14RiceM, Feb 13, 2014.

1. 14RiceM

14RiceM Chillin' With My Peeps

I received 15 chicks from My Pet Chicken on Wednesday. One died in transit which was sad but expected. That night, a buff orpington, a Silkie, and a Cochin died. Today another Silkie died, and four are not looking good. The last two Easter Eggers, a Mille Fleur, and the other Cochin. They have all the necessary things to take care of them. Electrolyte water, proper feed, I've been preparing for them and researching the best possible ways to raise them for a year now. All but one that's died has had pasty butt which we try to fix and then they die. I have six left if these four die. I am NOT happy and I need help. Apple cider vinegar, scrambled eggs, new feed, don't handle them, what??? I am so discouraged. I finally thought this was one thing I could do right and I can't even do this.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Perhaps they were chilled in transit due to the severe winter storm the past few days, flights cancelled etc...My Pet Chicken actually takes chick orders for Meyer hatchery out of Ohio, flight delays couldve occured there. Since your chicks are only a few days old, why would you be feeding them apple cider vinegar and scrambled eggs? That stuff can kill them because their digestive tracts arnt fully developed enough to handle those products. They can be given lukewarm sugar water for a day or two after arrival to get them perked up and only chick starter to eat. Electrolytes can be supplemented in 5 - 7 days if necessary.

1 person likes this.
  3. 14RiceM

Thank you that is helpful to know. I hadn't given them any scrambled eggs and only one was given any water with a tiny bit of apple cider vinegar. I will try the lukewarm sugar water. I hadn't given them anything but chick starter and electrolyte water but I will stop giving them that.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I forgot to ask if you are using an infrared heat lamp on them to keep warm. They require 95 degrees temp the first week, then lowered to 90 degrees the second week, 85 degrees the 3rd week and so on until they are at room temperature. If they crowd towards the heat lamp, it means they are cold and you'll have to lower the lamp. If they crowd into the corners away from the heat lamp, it means they are too hot and you have to raise the lamp. You might have to adjust it a few times until you find the perfect height where they are comfortable.

5. 14RiceM

I bought an EcoGlow heater thing, the table looking ones, I don't know how else to describe it haha. But they can all fit under comfortably, and it gives them direct heat without light, and we are keeping the room itself in the upper 70s temperature-wise. They seem comfortable in that respect. Some will sit under the table heater thing, some will be out eating and drinking. I think the couple who weren't doing so well are recovering. We gave them the sugar water like you suggested and they definitely have perked up. Thanks for your help!

6. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    X2. Light is also important. If lights are out at night, chicks will not eat because they cannot find food. In a weakened state from shipping stress, they require balanced feed and supplemented vitamins and probiotics in water, in addition to comfortable temperature throughout the brooder. If it is too cold away from the Ecoglow, they will spend less time away from it eating and drinking.

7. WestIndy

WestIndy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2014
    You might get some Sav-A-Chik to have on hand. Electrolytes supplement to help them in times of stress. Add it to the water and let it do it's stuff. It helped mine perk up after their initial transit.

8. 14RiceM

Yeah I've been using the Sav-A-Chik. Thanks for the advice everyone there haven't been any more deaths but there are a couple I'm watching:/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by