What the heck is my hen doing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tacampbell1973, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Tacampbell1973

Tacampbell1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2013
    Washington State
    I noticed my cochin hen doing something the other day that caught my attention. Some backstory first though....she lays her egg daily in the planter on my porch under my kitchen window. Always has probably always will. rather than argue with her, I figured to just throw a little hay in the planter for her to nest in. No problem. So she was getting out of the planter the other day and when she got on the counter, she picked up some strands of hay and threw them over her shoulder both sides back and forth a few times. Wierd bird. My husband thought she might have been dust bathing? It was awfully cute whatever it was.

2. BorneHomestead

BorneHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    sounds like she was fixing her nest to keep her egg warm

3. Tacampbell1973

May 26, 2013
    Washington State
    But she was already out of the nest when she did it. She was standing on the countertop next to the planter. Could she still think she was covering her egg. Granted she has only been laying for a month so she may not quite have the idea yet. Silly girl.

4. kkenney

kkenney Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Roscommon, MI
    I have no idea what she was doing, but some of mine do that too! Its like they are dusting off afterwards. Its cute, whatever it is!

5. Tacampbell1973

May 26, 2013
    Washington State
    I totally agree. not that I am biasedin any way towards my feathered babies. yeah right. but it was funny towatch. my guinea keets used to do something funny when they were still inside and i used to put up an old afghan from my mom to save my carpet. when it was first put out and clean, they would come out and all dust bathe on it. so cute. whumpa whumpa whumpa fluff fluff fluff!

6. kkenney

kkenney Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Roscommon, MI
    Oh that's so cute! My honey thinks I've turned crazy since we got the chickens. I just think it's so cute all of the goofy little things they do! One of my banty's is my little shadow and this past summer if I ate my lunch on the back deck she'd come up and sit right next to me, sharing my lunch and snacks squeaking with excitement. :)

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

x2

8. Tacampbell1973

May 26, 2013
    Washington State
    Dont worry your not alone. My husband thinks I'm nuts too since getting chickens. I carry them around in the am wrapped up inmy bathrobe to stay warm. I more often than not fall asleep on the sofa watching tv with one onmy chest under my chin. I spend more at the grocery store on snacks and foods for the birds than on our groceries.....also I occasionally can be found sniffing at my roosters. They smell like hay and outdoorsy I love how they smell. Ok maybe I am a little off my rocker [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

10. Tacampbell1973

May 26, 2013
    Washington State

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by