What the heck is my new gander doing?

Phillyndilly

Songster
5 Years
Aug 8, 2018
Hudson Valley, NY
We just got a new gander at our rescue. The lady who had him only had him two days so I don't know his story but he was alone with turkeys and trying to mate the hens/ fighting with the Tom. He's a Toulouse and we have a female dewlap Toulouse who he seemed to bond with right away.

He was wary of me and stuck his neck out when I got down and went over to him but I just spoke gently to him. I also threw some food for him because he didn't figure out the feeder yet.

Anyway it's only been about 3 days but now he will almost let me touch him and is very curious and follows me when I'm outside. But now he also is attacking my Tom but only when I'm around!
I pushed him off but then the second time I let them fight and my Tom won he's a tough boy.
I've kept a close eye because I had a gander who killed a Tom but he was fine all day and would back away. Then I came outside and he went after him again but I pushed him away before he got to him. My Tom follows me too so he'll come near when I bend down. He also tried to bite one of my turkey hens who got close.

I don't get it does he like me or does he just think maybe I'm giving him food and not want anyone, specifically my turkeys, to get any? He's figured out the feeder so he's not hungry anymore and I only threw food the first day kinda as a peace offering. Has anyone experienced this? I do want to be friendly with him but I don't want my turkeys to get beat up because of it. I immediately stopped giving him food in case that's it but I don't know does anyone have any thoughts.
There's a picture of him his name is Phyllis because they thought he was a girl LOL but we feel like it suits him.

Attachments

• 8D70ED05-9883-441D-B864-4DB8627F4B98.jpeg
    8D70ED05-9883-441D-B864-4DB8627F4B98.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 23
He is being a gander and its breeding season. give him a few months he will probably be fine. I love my geese but there are 2 1/2 months out of the year that it all goes crazy. Yes he has picked you.. Your his safe conquest. If he can belly up to you he owns the kingdom. a separate area if available might be a good Idea.
This year I had to keep one of my 3 boys best friends separate at night. He decided he wanted to sleep with them last night. opps the other 2 ganders each grabbed a wing and dragged him out of the building.

@JRies ya they honestly act so whacky during mating season I always have to separate my other two boys at night during mating season.
Ya if they keep it up I'll have to separate. I've never had a gander like me my alpha gander respects me but doesn't like me but he's a very good boy he won't bite me even if I poke his nose which I do often LOL.

@Poultrybonkers ugh yes I had a gander kill a full grown Tom so I know they are capable.

Sounds right 😄
Lol yes it's just I've never had a gander want to date me. Especially when he's paired off but I guess those boys just feel like one is not enough or in his case two because I have a female Sebastopol in with him as well.
This morning he was very happy to see me and let me pet him and followed me all around...and then went after Wilson again 🤨. Wilson beat him up again. It sucks because I really want to be friends with him lol I'm excited he likes me but I still can't have that happening. Tomorrow my husbands going to let that group out and see if he does the same thing.

We're in the process of fencing one of our open fields which is a few acres but there's nowhere to separate those two yet. Plus when they are all together Phyllis will be in with big daddy Luce my head gander, he's def the warden so he'll sort them out.

Last edited:
Lol yes it's just I've never had a gander want to date me. Especially when he's paired off but I guess those boys just feel like one is not enough or in his case two because I have a female Sebastopol in with him as well.
Sex pheromones I guess 😆
We're in the process of fencing one of our open fields which is a few acres but there's nowhere to separate those two yet. Plus when they are all together Phyllis will be in with big daddy Luce my head gander, he's def the warden so he'll sort them out.
Sounds like a plan. Once my gander is at that age I'll pair him off with one of 3 geese in something like December through the rest of their mating season.

He is being a gander and its breeding season. give him a few months he will probably be fine. I love my geese but there are 2 1/2 months out of the year that it all goes crazy. Yes he has picked you.. Your his safe conquest. If he can belly up to you he owns the kingdom. a separate area if available might be a good Idea.
This year I had to keep one of my 3 boys best friends separate at night. He decided he wanted to sleep with them last night. opps the other 2 ganders each grabbed a wing and dragged him out of the building.
My Buff gander hated the tom turkeys. He didn't really bother the hens. He might bully them a little, but they never got into it. He also hates the Muscovy drakes.

Haha it's so weird how they pick friends. I have a golden sebright who loves my Muscovy. My frizzle rooster and silkie rooster are besties. My female royal palm only hangs out w the geese. That's why I really enjoy a mixed flock but I know it can go bad.
My only problem has ever been Toms and ganders.
@Artizen Farm haha don't they know they just look like floofy marshmellows when they do that. Luce will do that and hiss while leaning his head so far back that he tipped over once LOL.
Phyllis and Wilson fought again but I think Wilson anticipated it and karate kicked him and he stopped. He does bully Phyllis though and corner him while making that weirdo chirp Toms make when they are mad.

Back
Top Bottom