What the heck is self blue split “true blue”

Summerjade1357

Hatching
Mar 25, 2023
If I’m looking to add a blue rooster to my silkie breeding flock (I’m new to this) and I have black, and splash hens how do I ensure I get a blue rooster and not something split to lavender (or is that okay)
I want to end up with blue, black and splash chicks. And ideally would find some blue hens as well so I guess this question applies to both hens and roosters

I messaged a breeder asking if she had blue silkies and she said “Most of our flock is shades of blue. From lavender to dark blue almost black.Lavender is the self blue gene. Our rooster is self blue split "true" blue.”

So could I get a rooster from her and confidently breed to get, blue, black, and splash chicks from the parings ?

*I THINK*

'Self Blue' AKA Lavender breeds true, lavender + lavender = lavender
Blue, black or spash + blue, black or splash = different quantities of blue, black and splash.

If you have a black Silkie and a splash, when they mate you will only get blue silkies. There is no chance of lavender it’s a different gene than the BBS genes that result in blue, black and splash. Is there a reason you think you might get lavenders?

Attachments

• 2E73126D-8532-411A-B69C-250FBD2FD95B.jpeg
    2E73126D-8532-411A-B69C-250FBD2FD95B.jpeg
    286.4 KB · Views: 30
If I’m looking to add a blue rooster to my silkie breeding flock (I’m new to this) and I have black, and splash hens how do I ensure I get a blue rooster and not something split to lavender (or is that okay)
I want to end up with blue, black and splash chicks. And ideally would find some blue hens as well so I guess this question applies to both hens and roosters

I messaged a breeder asking if she had blue silkies and she said “Most of our flock is shades of blue. From lavender to dark blue almost black.Lavender is the self blue gene. Our rooster is self blue split "true" blue.”

So could I get a rooster from her and confidently breed to get, blue, black, and splash chicks from the parings ?
Oh I think I understand your question now. Is the breeder you talked to saying that she has a rooster that is self blue (lavender) split to blue? If yes, that means the lavender roo she has carries one copy of the BBS blue gene. This means if he mates with your splash hen, you will get blue and splash babies that may carry one copy of the lavender gene. If you mated the lavender roo with your black hen you would get blacks and blues that may carry one lavender copy. The lavender gene needs two copies to be seen as the color of the chicken, if they only have one copy…you won’t see lavender. Does that make sense? It’s hard to explain this stuff haha.

I wouldn't deal with that breeder at all. What they're saying doesn't exactly make sense and if you're looking to Breed a BBS line it's smart to not have lavender mixed in. And since they mentioned it I'd walk away.
I think you're making the right choice wanting to stay away from the lavender gene. Lavender and blue are both dilute genes so when you get both in play it gets hard identifying exactly what color some of the chicks are. Buyers won't appreciate it if sold the wrong colors.
Lavender is also recessive so one copy can hide and is difficult to breed out without test breeding. That's the other problem. If someone buys from a bbs line then a generation or two later lavender starts coming out in hatches it can be a real pita.

Last edited:
Can you get blue splashes? Like a blue chick with black splashes? That seems to be what I have recently gotten here is mama and baby…. The other one which I couldn’t get a picture has no white at all

Attachments

• FBBA479B-7035-40CF-8BAD-4DE00B11392D.jpeg
    FBBA479B-7035-40CF-8BAD-4DE00B11392D.jpeg
    724.4 KB · Views: 26
  • FD3080D6-644D-4C1C-8DCC-AD1725D1D124.jpeg
    FD3080D6-644D-4C1C-8DCC-AD1725D1D124.jpeg
    627.5 KB · Views: 18
Newer photos of blue chick with black splashes and it has gold coming in also so looks to be a ROO these are three of my newer birds EEs two Roos n a hen.

Attachments

• 09F47AF9-BA70-4F8A-BCA2-090B16A713C5.jpeg
    09F47AF9-BA70-4F8A-BCA2-090B16A713C5.jpeg
    762.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 7C65BB4F-39E6-406F-A383-87A579ECA882.jpeg
    7C65BB4F-39E6-406F-A383-87A579ECA882.jpeg
    933.7 KB · Views: 13
  • F3CDDDF0-881B-4428-95D6-3B6CEB07764F.jpeg
    F3CDDDF0-881B-4428-95D6-3B6CEB07764F.jpeg
    631.5 KB · Views: 20
Can you get blue splashes? Like a blue chick with black splashes? That seems to be what I have recently gotten here is mama and baby…. The other one which I couldn’t get a picture has no white at all
No, they’re either splash or blue. Blues can have some darker feathers mixed in, though not to the degree that splashes can have.

Back
Top Bottom