What the heck is she doing???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sinistershelly, Aug 10, 2011.

1. sinistershelly

sinistershelly Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2011
    Ok, so I'm out in the run and sat down in a lil chair next to one of the coops and did my usual chick watching for a bit. Our one girl that always has liked being held came up to me and hopped on my foot, laid down, and started falling asleep. I just sat and watched and "oooo'd" and "awwww'd" in my head at her cuteness until suddenly she starts doing what I thought at first was a yawn. But she kept doing it over and over, maybe about 6 or so times in a row. It almost looked like maybe she was gagging or choking. She didnt make any noise when doing it and didnt look like she was hurting. Eventually she stopped and fell back asleep. Should I be worried? [​IMG]
    Cuz right now I kinda am.

2. GardenState38

GardenState38 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    I've seen my chicks do that from time to time.
    Doesn't look like they're in any particular distress, and it passes. I was wondering if they were trying to let out a cluck or a crow? That's kind of what it looks like--as though they're trying to get a sound out.
    I'd be interested if anyone has any ideas.

3. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Mine yawn like that. Someone tried to tell me she had gape worm. But she'd have other symptoms if that was the case. Sounds like you had a very content hen who needed a nap.

4. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    How old are these birds? I had a similar experience with my Welsummer chick when she was maybe a month old. I witnessed the same behavior either twice with one bird or once each with two (I couldn't tell them apart at that stage) and asked if perhaps she was actually a he and was trying to crow or whether I should administer some sort of chicky-Heimlich maneuver. The replies I got were about 50/50 "Yes she is probably actually a he" and "No, this is just a normal chicken behavior when they have something dry stuck in their throat". Either way, 4 weeks later both my Welsummer PULLETS (please oh please) are growing and thriving and happy, healthy looking chickens. I'm guessing yours will be fine.

5. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    Hi and [​IMG] My chickens do this all the time-it's not a problem. They are just adjusting their crops, kind of like opening your mouth wide when you are trying to get your ears to pop. [​IMG]

6. sinistershelly

Jul 17, 2011
    They are about 4-5 week old Barred Rocks. My hubby keeps saying he thinks some might be boys but when I tried to see the difference between boy and girl barred rocks, its almost impossible. Any other key notes to tell the difference? Ill try to go take a picture of her (the gagging/crowing one) right now. While Im doing that, can someone tell me how to post the pic? Im not too computer smart [​IMG]

7. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Barred rocks are one of the easiest to sex. The females are much darker black, the males have more white bars, so they are lighter (sort of silvery looking), plus the females have a wash of black down the front of their legs and over the feet, the males have little black on the legs and feet. This, along with other differences between the sexes, like females getting tail feathers sooner and males having bigger feet and legs makes it easy to sex them at an early age.

I got 11 straight run barred rocks three weeks ago, and so far it looks like I have seven pullets and four cockerels.

8. sinistershelly

Jul 17, 2011
    Ok, so here are my pix of the lil "Gagger". I hope this works.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. sinistershelly

Jul 17, 2011
    one more time, lol Here we go
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Prisserbabe

Prisserbabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    The chicken coop
    [​IMG] He is beautiful! But kinda looks a little rooish to me. Some of my pullets have that size a comb and there 14 weeks old.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by