What the heck is that smell?!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bettacreek, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Ah, well, both chicks came from the same place (breeder's place), same brooder, same hatcher/incubator, etc. But, one smells like goat feed or corn chips or something. What's up with that? It's not offensive, but, I'd like to know why one smells like that.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  2. Bettacreek

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Well, the little (lol, actually, these guys seem like monsters compared to the buttons) chickies have been here for two days, and the cochin still smells corny. Any ideas? I'm baffled. [​IMG]

3. TammyTX

TammyTX Overrun With Chickens

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    hmmm.....my old dog smells like Fritos too!

Sorry, I know that wasn't helpful. [​IMG]

4. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Maybe someone handled the chick after having a snack of doritos. Got out of its brooder at the breeders place and got into a bag of fritos? If so, I think you've just found it's favorite food [​IMG]

I really don't know what could've caused something like that...[​IMG]

5. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Um, my dog really does have that smell from time to time. Maybe it is what they fed it.

6. birdbrain2

birdbrain2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2008
    belleville, IL.
    sounds like time for a bath, my chicks loved it. just don't let it get chilled. i put mine in a warm water and them wrapped in a towel. pat dry and put back in brooder. i am a newbie but i think if its coming from chicks mouth you might have a problem with the crop or something. but i think it would be a foul smell not corn chips. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  7. Bettacreek

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Thanks guys. Both chicks were/are fed the same thing, and kept in the same exact conditions and everything, so I know it isn't an environmental factor. The chick has a VERY strong smell, I can smell it as soon as I pick him/her up. I certainly hope that it's not a health issue. This does seem to be the stronger chick of the two though, so I'm not too concerned, just totally baffled.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by