1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What the HECK is the honking goose-like noise that my roos are making?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Keri78, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Keri78

Keri78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    Ok everyone! Help a Newbie Out!!! What the heck is going on with my roos honking like they want to be geese??? Thanks, Keri PS. It's been officially six months and NO EGGIES to speak of!(impatiently waiting it out!(lol) Maybe my roos are trying to encourage my girls to start singing along???(egg song?)

2. Luke0987654321

Luke0987654321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Spain
    how old are the roos ?
    if they are young they could be learning to crow...
    i remember my roos first crow, it was so funny!
    sounded like a cat being strangled [​IMG]

luke.

3. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Oh you have a honker too, eh? In my experience a loud HAAAWNK! HAAAWK! is an unhappy sound, a warning of some sort. Used most around here when the lawnmower comes by, though sometimes when I whop Ol' Roo-boy on the rump to get him to move out of my way when I'm cleaning.

Or maybe he just spend too much time in the garage and thinks he's an automobile. Hard to say with my animals; they're all weird.

4. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    My roos first Crow sounded like a strangled gurgle.....then got louder! lol not a cluck, nor a Crow.
    Now he is crowing up a storm.....

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I don't know, but my BO pullet used to honk like a goose.

6. lovemychicns

lovemychicns Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Rockwell, NC
    Around my house you here this when one of the girls are laying. Even the roo's chime in with that honking sound

Karen

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I had a huge red star pullet that used to honk... it was worse than a roos crow and I had to rehome her!

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:That's too bad. I just assumed my BO did it cuz of the heat. It's not hot now, and she doesn't do it anymore. But maybe she grew out of it. [​IMG]

9. Keri78

Keri78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    Yeah...this is definetly NOT crowing!!! These roos are 6 mths. old and have been good crowers for a long time but my spazzy little white frizzle roo boy"Fluffy" always starts it off and when he does it's like an alarm going off and all of the chickens stop in their tracks and start looking around!!! Now this morning my sweetie little banty red roo "William Wallace" started doing a honk back in response to Fluffy!!![​IMG][​IMG] What's up with that??? I wish it were b/c of eggs...no such luck...unless the roos [​IMG] are trying to lay b/c the girls refuse to!!![​IMG] Keri

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by