What The Heck Is This??? Pics

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickie<3, Nov 20, 2010.

1. chickie<3

chickie<3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    I have five 24.5 week old pullets. Everything going great..got 2 eggs from my Red Plymouth so far..so EGGCITING..BUT..Today I noticed a mass on my Dark Cornish on her right breast. It is soft and feels like it is fluid filled. She is acting normal..eating, drinking, playing. I never had chickens before so I'm hoping someone can give me some advice on what it may be and what I can do to fix it. Here are some pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. buckaroo's wife

buckaroo's wife Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    North Central Texas
    I don't know much about chicken injuries, etc. but what you described sounds like an abcess. Dealt with alot of those in cattle....usually the best way to rememdy is to lance, drain, and then apply medicine (I've found vetricyn works wonders). Was she injured in anyway?

3. bishopschickens

bishopschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Cumberland, VA
    Looks like she has an impacted crop. I have not delt with this but I think you should take away her food for at least a day give her lots of water and maybe work some vegetable oil down her throat. Then you can feed her some cooked white rice and keep an eye on her until it goes back to normal. They can get it from eating straw or hay or other things that are difficult to digest.

4. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    Omg I Have The Same Breed Of Chicken As You Do And The Exact Same Thing Happened To Mine!!!! I Was Just About To Post A Pic Of Her And Find Out What Was Going On. That Is Really Weird. I Would Really Like To Know What It Is So I Can Find Out How To Help Mine

5. boykin2010

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    O And It Is On Her Right Side And She Has That Little Piece Of Fuzz Right Next To It Just Like Yours. I Cannot Believe How Similiar They Look!

6. bishopschickens

bishopschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Cumberland, VA
    Hmmm maybe it is a breed thing and they just have really big craws!! You did say it felt like it was full of water.

7. chickie<3

chickie<3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    How old is urs? I was thinking that maybe because their feathers are more tapered and tight to their bodies than other breeds..it may just be a full crop..but more noticable..where as on other breeds their feathers are fluffier and u dont notice it as much

8. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    she is pretty and I hope someone can give you some good feedback to help you get her through whatever is causing the condition.

9. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    It really sounds like it might be a sour crop.
    When mine had this, I separated her from the rest of the flock, with held food for 24 hours. I only gave her water with Apple Cider Vinegar in it. The apple cider helps to kill any yeast & such that might be growing in there. I also massaged her crop several times a day. After the 24 hrs, then I would give bits of bread soaked in olive oil. This helps loosen up things inside there. If her crop feels better, I would introduce some foods and watch her. I started mine on yogurt which is also good for digestion and then scrambled egg and hen eventually feed if all looks like she is better.
    I hope you can get her to feel better!!

I forgot to add the a sour crop kind of feels like a balloon.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  10. boykin2010

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    i dont know what age mine is but its crop has looked like this for i dont know how long. i just noticed it looked different from the other hens about a week ago. then hen acts normal eats normal poops normal and everything...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by