1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what the heck is this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by whatthecluck, May 12, 2009.

1. whatthecluck

whatthecluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    VeRmOnT
    OK....I am now 99% sure roo...but whats with the the tufts at the cheeks AND the top of the head. Ameracauna crossed with what? White legs....Welsummer maybe? The possibilities were several different colors of Ameracauna, Marans or Welsummer. What is that topknot anyhow? Hettie is now going to be called Gilligan....but I want to know what Gilligan is [​IMG] Hes totally sweet and the weirdest looking chicken I have seen...a character for sure...I only wish I could have gotten a front-on shot...he looks hysterical with all the hair sticking out all over and greasy looking. Maybe we should call him the Fonz [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Yes, Fonz is a great name! He is pretty!!

3. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    I really don't know what I'm talking about but my first thought is that it has some polish in it since it has a small topknot. He/she's cute!

4. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    He's probably crossed with gl polish or gold brabanter

5. whatthecluck

Mar 30, 2009
    VeRmOnT
    yes...I googled these and the gold brabanter is pretty close! Heres a pic of a roo:

[​IMG]

I am thinking maybe crossed with black ameracauna? But brabanter wasnt one of the roos or hens the breeder had interesting....maybe in one of their ancestors?

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Could be any crested breed. BTW, those are muffs, not tufts. They are very different things [​IMG]

7. whatthecluck

Mar 30, 2009
    VeRmOnT
    OK...so the top knot is called a crest. And cheek fuzzies are muffs. Got it. But then what IS a tuft? I google and see it is characteristic of Araucanas but dont see what it actually is? I was just going with tuft from my own uneducated chicken guess...my mom always called hair that was sticking out "tufts" lol.
    So Gilligan has a crest and muffs. I am learning a lot thanks guys!

8. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    LOL he looks like an amish man! Little white face and legs with that black beard! [​IMG]

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  10. whatthecluck

Mar 30, 2009
    VeRmOnT
    Oh ok...I see the difference (muffs and tufts). Interesting.
    Amish man [​IMG] [​IMG] yup...I can see that![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by